PDA

View Full Version : Soon in France it may pay to buy a windows computer (or tablet) then put ubuntu on it

nolag
December 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM
It may not be, but read this.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934443/french-politicians-tax-tablets-running-windows

Depending on how much the tax is, it may be cheaper to buy a windows tablet or computer then install ubuntu. How stupid is that?

Christian Knudsen
December 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
According to the French magazine Numerama they have decided that a device is only a computer when it runs Microsoft Windows.

This has got to be a joke...

Gremlinzzz
December 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds pretty weird and who.s they fine a name of the person responsible and have em fired.

Grenage
December 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
An article based on an article based on a proposal?

But yes, it's a silly concept.

3Miro
December 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
It will not pass. Europe doesn't like Microsoft and no sane government would put a foreign vendor at a better position than their own home manufacturers.

Spr0k3t
December 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
C'est tout simplement incroyable. Le peuple francais ne mettra pas a la presente.

nolag
December 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
This has got to be a joke...

Not a joke, yes it is stupid. No I don't think it will pass, but you never know. Many people in politics know little about computers or things they pass laws about (and rarely do they seek professional opinions or clarification before passing a law).

Christian Knudsen
December 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Is that article only based on the poor Google translation of the original French article? If so, then that article certainly is a joke.

As far as I can tell from the French article, it's not about a computer only being a computer when running Windows -- it's about the tax only being applied to "mobile" devices such as tablet computers. The article seems to state that boxed copies of Windows won't be taxed, since that's not aimed at mobile devices. Whether or not a tablet computer that comes with Windows will be taxed, I can't tell from the article.

It'd be really nice to get a native French speaker to chime in...

MisterGaribaldi
December 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Well, there goes *my* plans on traveling to France to buy an iPad. :roll: :lol:

I wouldn't want to get an infraction for suggesting, implying, or out-and-out saying the French government is silly (or worse) so I am not going to say that.

Spr0k3t
December 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM
It'd be really nice to get a native French speaker to chime in...

I speak french as a second language. From what I read of the original untranslated article, it is what has been said. If the tablet does not come with Windows, it is to be considered a media player (not much else). Because of their current laws on media devices, there already is a high tax to compensate for the heavy media piracy. I'm still digging through some of the sites, but translating some of the french can be a bit difficult on technical jargon or legalese.

cgroza
December 30th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Now the French politicians have worked out that they can get even more dosh if they extend the tax to include tablets. After all, most of them are just big phones and MP3 players, they think.

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934443/french-politicians-tax-tablets-running-windows#ixzz19XuS0La0
The Inquirer - Computer hardware news and downloads. Visit the download store today. (http://store.theinquirer.net/)-What do you have there homie?
-Ohh nothing. Just a MP3 player with a 320 GB of storage, 4 GB of RAM, a monitor, a mouse and a keyboard.

alexfish
December 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Put them in a guillotine and claim scrappage value + vat

piquat
December 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Soooo, what do they do when they run into a phone that runs windows? They want to tax the phones saying they're basically MP3 players. And in their eyes anything that runs windows is a PC, not an MP3 player.

cgroza
December 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Its amazing! Big people in the government say such stupid things.

Megaptera
December 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM
It should be interesting when they have to tax thenselves as the French Govt. uses Ubuntu --
"French Parliament opted in November 2006 to dump Windows in favor of Ubuntu Linux, according to ZD Net The move was part of a comprehensive shake-up in the software run on Parliament computers, resulting ultimately in "1,154 French parliamentary workstations running on Linux, with OpenOffice.org productivity software, the Firefox Web browser and an open-source e-mail client." Despite the training costs, Parliament officials named cost savings and technological superiority of open-source software for parliamentary purposes as reasons for the switch."

Still, they can get the French Police to enforce it. OOOPs no they can't the French Police use Ubuntu too ---
"French police deal blow to Microsoft

(AFP) – Jan 30, 2008

PARIS (AFP) — The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest administrations in the world to make the break.

The move completes the gendarmerie's severance from Microsoft which began in 2005 when it moved to open sourcing for office applications such as word processing. It switched to open source Internet browsers in 2006.

Linux is an open-source operating system, which used to be the reserve of computer geeks but is now an easy-to-use system aimed at average users.

The gendarmerie's 70,000 desktops currently use Microsoft's Windows XP operating system. But these will progressively change over to the Linux system distributed by Ubuntu, explained Colonel Nicolas Geraud, deputy director of the gendarmerie's IT department."