PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to access memory card in ubuntu??

Oscarbunson
December 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I am sure this is a stupid question, but ....

Have downloaded ubuntu (because my linux lite died). Very pleased so far with ubuntu, but I can't figure out how to access files or photos from a memory card. Just can't seem to go to anything that even shows its existence. Any help would be appreciated. I'm a linux novice so an 'idiots guide' would be most useful! Thanks. :)

audiomick
December 29th, 2010, 01:22 PM
You are not clear about whether you have actually installed Ubuntu, or have just downloaded and are using it in the live CD mode. I assume you have actually installed.

When you plug a removable drive in, an entry should appear in Nautilus in the side pane, and in your places menu.

In my screenshot, the SD card from my camera can be seen as "4.1GB Dateisystem"

Oscarbunson
December 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
When you plug a removable drive in, an entry should appear in Nautilus in the side pane, and in your places menu.

I don't know what Nautilus is? I have some icons down the left hand side of the screen but I've just put the memory card in but nothing has changed down the left side. ??

Also where do I find the places menu?

I have actually installed ubuntu.

Thanks.

audiomick
December 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Nautilus is the file manager. It is the thing that opens when you, for instance, go to your home folder or something.

Which version exactly of Ubuntu have you installed? From your description, I think it may be the Netbook Remix? If this is the case, I can start my netbook and have a look where the things turn up on it. ;)

The "places" menu, in a normal Ubuntu install, is in the task bar at the top of the screen on the left.

Oscarbunson
December 29th, 2010, 01:53 PM
My icons on the left don't seem to alter. The only addition to these was when I once used open office.
The top icon is for firefox. Above that there is a circle thing with 3 arms and when I press on that I get another screen with some icons. Whatever I press on in relation to photos or media I go to stuff already on the computer - I just can seem to get to a bit that shows a memory card etc.

Thank you for trying to help me. It is ubuntu notebook remix 10

audiomick
December 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Ok, I'll start my netbook and have a look. Back soon... ;)

audiomick
December 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Go to this icons down the left, and look for one that is called "Files and Folders" or something similar to that. My system is in German, and it is called "Datien und Ordner".

On mine, it is the second from the top, under Favorites.

Click on the "Files and folders" (or whatever it is called) entry, and you should see something similar to what it in the attached screenshot.

In the screenshot, my SD card is visible in the bottom section on the right. It is called "4.1 GB Dateisystem".

To unmount your card before you remove it, click on the little icon that looks a bit like the eject button on a lot of CD players and DVD players. A little triangle above a horizontal bar.

Oscarbunson
December 29th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Yeh tried that already. But have just done it again to make sure I wasn't missing something. I get the same screen you do but I don't get any other the 'warf...' stuff at the bottom like you do. Any ideas? Cathy

audiomick
December 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
... but I don't get any other the 'warf...' stuff at the bottom like you do....
You mean the section called "Laufwerke"? That means "Drives", i.e. your hard drive. I am pretty sure that should be there. I haven't messed around with this install at all, just put it on and used it.

It's not just off screen is it? There is a scroll bar on the right. The vertical bar visible on the right of my screenshot. Try clicking on that and dragging downwards.