PDA

View Full Version : Freenase Access -> Root login ??

moe411
December 28th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I'm a new user and not familiar with Ubuntu. I installed Mythbuntu and played a DVD on my Flat Screen TV and it worked fine.

Now I want to access my music and videos which are on a freenas box. I created a directory to use as a mount point but when I try to use the mount command I get an error

-> mount: only root can do that

I am using the terminal window under applications menu. I tried logging out but it doesn't work.

How do you log in as root on a mythbuntu box ? Also once I these drives are mounted how could I mount them automatically ?

Thank's for your help,

ian dobson
December 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi,

To run a command as root use su. So to mount a drive use
sudo mount MountPoint DEV

To always mount a drive you need to edit /etc/fstab as root:-
sudo nano /etc/fstab

note nano needs to be installed, to install nano type
sudo apt-get install nano

To run all the above commands you just need to start a terminal, there's a menu option for that.

Regards
Ian Dobson

moe411
December 30th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Hello Ian, thank's for the help, I can finally mount my drives now. Not sure about editing /etc/fstab, do I just copy the same command line in this file and it will run it on boot or do I need to write something else ?

Thank's again,

newlinux
December 30th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Hello Ian, thank's for the help, I can finally mount my drives now. Not sure about editing /etc/fstab, do I just copy the same command line in this file and it will run it on boot or do I need to write something else ?

Thank's again,

The syntax for /etc/fstab is different from the commandline mount command.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

Gives good information as does

man fstab