PDA

View Full Version : Useful/Cool/Impressive skills to learn?

dmillerw
December 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I'm a student and currently on Winter Break. I'm also pretty bored.

Anyone know of some cool skills to learn?

ki4jgt
December 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Languages (Programming and Natural) Religious studies (different than your own) How something works (Electronics, physics expiriments) Martial arts (I like kali and tai chi) Go hicking across your country and discover new towns.

These are all the things I grew up doing, before the aliens attacked and stole my freedom :-) :-) :-) Now I must obey their every command, or I will appear awkward to them.

In short: You're the only one who can answer that question. You're the only one who knows what you're into.

**EDIT: Oh and Hicking is a new for of hillbilly hiking LOL. Sorry :-) typo my bad!

NightwishFan
December 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Juggling, sword swallowing, fire breathing, orchestra conducting, pc jacking, playing the guitar, finding fixing bugs, kendo, cooking ramen, and most certainly talking like you are from england. :D

Do all of this in one youtube video.... GO.

ki4jgt
December 24th, 2010, 09:01 AM
do all of this in one youtube video.... Go.

+ 9 1/2

NMFTM
December 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
1. Setup Windows in a VM.
2. Install Cain and Able.
3. Experiment with APR poisoning, sniffing types of traffic, etc.

It's really easy to use (from what little I've experimented with it) and makes "hacking" fun because it's all through a pretty GUI.

Khakilang
December 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Take up photography. Capture something memorable and hang it on your wall. Family photos, candid, your grand parents when they are still around, kids before they grow up, some old building before they torn it down, nature before they chop those trees and flatten the hills and animals before they been hunt to extinction. And you can enjoy it for many years to come.

sharks
December 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM
take up photography. Capture something memorable and hang it on your wall. Family photos, candid, your grand parents when they are still around, kids before they grow up, some old building before they torn it down, nature before they chop those trees and flatten the hills and animals before they been hunt to extinction. And you can enjoy it for many years to come.

+1

inobe
December 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM
the meaning of life and how things we do now affect our future so dramatically.

keithpeter
December 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Take up photography. Capture something memorable and hang it on your wall. Family photos, candid, your grand parents when they are still around, kids before they grow up, some old building before they torn it down, nature before they chop those trees and flatten the hills and animals before they been hunt to extinction. And you can enjoy it for many years to come.

+1

Have a look at the hugin photo stitching / panoramic software (its in the Ubuntu repros). You can use this to get perspective corrected elevations of buildings. One bloke has published a tutorial for making cad drawings from elevations.

Then just document each building in your high street /town centre in a systematic way and put prints on paper (paper lasts longer than most digital storage formats) and put them as a 'set' on flickr. Ask people for their memories of the buildings...

Could be a valuable historical document in 10, 20 years.

Grenage
December 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM
A musical instrument.

Superkoop
December 24th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I'm also on Christmas Break, here is what I do:
Read until my eyes bleed, watch Youtube until my ears and eyes both bleed, get the high score on a Facebook game, listen to music forever, run around outside barefoot in the snow at midnight for fun, flirt, learn to moonwalk, plot world domination, dance around in my room with the stereo way too loud, make money, buy junk with that new money, eat popcorn, make a lot of Christmas candy/cookies/treats, renew my love interest with the library, listen to the same song over and over again until it's memorized, become a hippie that showers, take showers, and just be awesome.

But that's just me, perhaps you like other things... Just don't be bored, go do something awesome and appreciate every moment. DFTBA.

forrestcupp
December 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Learn to shoot milk out of your eyeball.

koenn
December 24th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Learn to shoot milk out of your eyeball.
that would be cool and impressive.

koenn
December 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
the meaning of life and how things we do now affect our future so dramatically.

read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for some perspective, and an answer.

ElSlunko
December 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Nunchaku skills... bowhunting skills... computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!

Austin25
December 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Knife throwing is impressive, yet extremely easy.
Juggling maybe?

treesurf
December 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Musical instrument.

forrestcupp
December 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM
that would be cool and impressive.

But not useful?!!

koenn
December 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I fail to see any practical applications, but that could be a lack of imagination on my part. I'm open to suggestions.

nice_like_rice
December 25th, 2010, 11:16 PM
learn to solve a rubiks cube in <2 mins
learn to tell what day of the week someone was born on given their date of birth (not hard with a bit of paper and wikipedia for leap years..)
musical instrument
learn how to recover and break hashes from a few OSs.. always impressive when someone forgets their pw
learn basic knowledge of another language
learn python/bash/perl/ruby or another scripting language
learn some impressive (soccer?) football tricks
juggle

giddyup306
December 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM
read the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy for some perspective, and an answer.

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I fail to see any practical applications, but that could be a lack of imagination on my part. I'm open to suggestions.

Someone with no arms can't hold a bottle in a baby's mouth, but maybe they could suck milk up their nostril and squirt the milk out of their eyeball into the baby's mouth. :)

earthpigg
December 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
i can hit a man-sized target from 500 yards away with iron sights (no scope).

karthick87
December 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Learn hacking and rule the world :lolflag:

NightwishFan
December 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Set up a game of DnD.....

..... In the middle of a fancy restaurant.