PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Another reason to not consider Windows Media Center

keepitsimpleengr
December 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
So I built an HTPC (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1587584) and worked my way up to ubuntu 10.10 with mythtv 0.24.

I'm and all OTA and having problems with the Hauppauge HVR-2250 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1645476) reception.

So I snag a Windows 7 64bit Home Premium and a spare hard disk. I'm curious and think it might help with the reception problem because Hauppauge supports Windows.

When setting up audio, I discover that nvidia drivers only support stereo though the HDMI cable to the television, no 5.1. What EVGA says in their web page (http://www.evga.com/articles/00514/), "DVI-I and HDMI 1.3a - Dual-link DVI support and HDMI output enables sending both high-definition video and audio signals to an HDTV via single cable."

5.1 works fine with mythtv .23 & .24 on ubuntu 10.10 with the nvidia proprietary drivers.

EVGA tech support is not helping much, probably because it's nvidia that left out 5.1 capability on the 260.99 drivers.

If that's not enough, the reception problems are worse on the Windows 7 Media Center.

keepitsimpleengr
December 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
EVGA tech support is not helping much, probably because it's nvidia that left out 5.1 capability on the 260.99 drivers.

Follow-up from EVGA technical support in a phone call:

Paraphrase "The reason nvidia cannot send 5.1 through the HDMI to the television in Windows is because the way Microsoft handles digital audio makes it impossible."

They say it will work if the HDMI goes to the receiver instead of the television.

Mythtv, the Blu-ray player, the HD-DVD player, several DVD players, the Sony PSP3, the satellite dish all do not have this problem, all without fuss send 5.1 to the television, which then sends it to the receiver via optical cable.

It seems unlikely to me that it could send 5.1 to a receiver but not a television. :-({|=

LowSky
December 25th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Sorry but how is a TV going to play 5.1? I don't know of one TV that has 5.1 speakers. You will need an audio receiver, 5 speakers (center, left, right, and two rear) and a subwoofer to get 5.1 sound.

Most newer TV sets have a virtual mode for fake 5.1, but Stereo is the best any TV can really do.

Microsoft's "limitation" is there because the TV cannot actually handle real 5.1 sound.

keepitsimpleengr
December 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Sorry but how is a TV going to play 5.1? I don't know of one TV that has 5.1 speakers. You will need an audio receiver, 5 speakers (center, left, right, and two rear) and a subwoofer to get 5.1 sound.

Most newer TV sets have a virtual mode for fake 5.1, but Stereo is the best any TV can really do.

Microsoft's "limitation" is there because the TV cannot actually handle real 5.1 sound.

The setup is:

Source⋯[HDMI]⋯>Television⋯[Optical Cable]⋯>Receiver

Sources are:

The Bluray player connects via HDMI to the television and I get 5.1

The HD-DVD player connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

The DVD player connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

The satellite dish connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

The Sony PS3 connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

The HTPC with GT240 running Linux connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

When using the televisions built in receiver, it outputs 5.1 when the OTA transmission provides it.

The HTPC with GT240 running Windows 7 64 Home Premium connects via HDMI and I can only get stereo.

keepitsimpleengr
December 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Then latest message from EVGA says the HTPC with GT240 running Windows 7 64 Home Premium connecting via HDMI is not officially supported.

keepitsimpleengr
December 25th, 2010, 09:57 PM

The HTPC with GT240 running Windows 7 64 Home Premium connects via HDMI and I can only get stereo.

:) Linux-x86_64 (Mythtv 0.24-fixes, Ubuntu 10.10) using proprietary nvidia driver version 260.19.06 (nvidia-current)

:icon_frown: Windows 7 using nvidia driver version 260.99, stereo is the only choice offered for the nvidia HD audio setup in the control panel.

LowSky
December 27th, 2010, 02:01 AM
most computers have an optical output for onboard sound, why not try to use that?

keepitsimpleengr
December 27th, 2010, 02:30 AM
most computers have an optical output for onboard sound, why not try to use that?

No such "luck".

In any case, I would have to change the input selector on the receiver every time I switched the television to another source than the HTPC, such as it's own receiver or Bluray player, and also no PIP sound likewise.

Fortunately, I'll be using Mythtv :guitar: instead of
the stunted Windows Media Center on Windows 7 Home "Premium" :-({|= .

WMC only for testing the HVR-2250.

4dognight
December 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
The setup is:

Sources are:

The Bluray player connects via HDMI to the television and I get 5.1

The HD-DVD player connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

The DVD player connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

The satellite dish connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

The Sony PS3 connects via HDMI and I get 5.1

I'm curious which TV do you have that has 6 HDMI inputs?

keepitsimpleengr
December 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I'm curious which TV do you have that has 6 HDMI inputs?

Toshiba 47LX196 pseudo 1080p, it's got two. Dish, PS3, & DVD players are all history.

HTPC gets one, 2into1 HDMI switch gets the HD-DVD or the Bluray.

uncle hammy
December 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
The setup is:

No offense, but that seems completely backwards to me. I would never even consider not going Source->Receiver->TV. You're argument that you have to switch the receiver input each time holds no water either, because the way you have it, you have to change the input on the TV each time you switch sources....what's the difference?

Most people would find it desirable to have a different source on the receiver, because any modern receiver allows for different settings for different sources (i.e. crazy high LFE for movies, more balanced sound for music, etc).

Just my 2 cents....worth every penny, I'm sure.

sparkosaurus
December 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
The setup is:

I have a similar setup.
Very low cost frontend using:
Free - Old amd 3200+ athlon 64 bit single core pc I had lying around.
$40 - EVGA GT240 graphics card for digital audio over HDMI.
$900.00 - Insignia NS-L46X-10A 46" LCD (THIS STARTED THE WHOLE THING)
$151.00 - panasonic sa-pt480 5.1 surround.

The reasons I like this configuration is that I couldn't spend much on a real receiver for the surround and I like to use the motion smoothing on the tv. The smoothing adds a second or so lag in the television picture. The tv passes the digital audio straight out the optical jack in theory keeping it in sync with the video (I have not tried it yet as I just purchased the surround yesterday 12/27/10).

My wife can't stand the motion smoothing, so she turns it off all the time. With this setup I hopefully won't have to worry about manually keeping the audio in sync on the receiver.

keepitsimpleengr
December 28th, 2010, 10:57 PM
you have to change the input on the TV each time you switch sources....what's the difference?

The difference is the tuner and the television would both have to be changed, not just the television as is now.

keepitsimpleengr
December 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Another update from EVGA:

Hi Larry, It should work in the following configuration: Video card (HDMI cable) to the receiver, then from the receiver to your TV. However, the only configuration we can guarantee is from the video card to the TV in standard audio (2.0). This can be a driver limitation from NVIDIA's driver, so it might be best to contact NVIDIA. Here is a PDF with the information from NVIDIA regarding known product limitations, how-to's, and more: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/260.99/260.99_Win7_WinVista_Desktop_Release_Notes.pdf. Regards, EVGA Technical Support

Unfortunately, the nvidia PDF download was corrupted and Acrobat reader could not repair it.

Also, the product guide for the EVGA nvidia GT 240 512 GDDR5 where HDMI support is described can no longer be found at EVGA.com.

It's enough to make a person grumpy.

keepitsimpleengr
December 28th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Also, the product guide for the EVGA nvidia GT 240 512 GDDR5 where HDMI support is described can no longer be found at EVGA.com.

Spoke too soon...

http://www.evga.com/articles/00514/

uncle hammy
December 29th, 2010, 12:16 AM
The difference is the tuner and the television would both have to be changed, not just the television as is now.

I am making an assumption here...if your receiver has HDMI in, it has HDMI out and HDMI switching. So you would not have to switch the TV.

Everything goes into the receiver -> one line out to HDMI 1 on the TV. Tv always stays on HDMI 1.

keepitsimpleengr
December 29th, 2010, 02:56 AM
...if your receiver has HDMI in, it has HDMI out and HDMI switching...

Alas, no HDMI on receiver. It's old but the electrons don't seem to mind.

Plus I would need 25' HDMI cables ($13ea) as well as a new receiver ($230).

All this for the privilege of running Windows 7 with Windows Media Center as well as Mythbuntu 10.10/0.24. Not yet anyway.

I expect nvidia will eventually figure out what needs to be done and actually do something about it. :lolflag:

keepitsimpleengr
December 29th, 2010, 03:19 AM
More stuff from nvidia:

4) If there is a device in between your HDTV and your PC such as an audio receiver, HDMI switch or KVM, it may be blocking your HDTVs EDID information from being passed on to your PC and therefore the PC will not be able to synchronize properly.

Emphasis mine.
It's at "How do I setup my NVIDIA based graphics card to work with my HDTV?" (http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=2593&p_created=1270025972&p_sid=d69NmHik&p_lva=2505&p_li=&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MiZwX2NhdHM9NjEmcF9wdj0 xLjImcF9jdj0xLjYxJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZ WFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1IRCBhdWR pbyBIRE1J)

tgm4883
December 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Another update from EVGA:

Unfortunately, the nvidia PDF download was corrupted and Acrobat reader could not repair it.

It's enough to make a person grumpy.

I didn't look though it too much, but I was able to open and view that PDF

keepitsimpleengr
December 29th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I didn't look though it too much, but I was able to open and view that PDF

I could view it in the browser, but it's 50 pages. When downloaded with Chrome, Firefox and IE8 on Windows XP and ubuntu, xPDF crashed and Acrobat reader 9 and got "…could not repair…".

So then my brain hiccoughed and I printed to PDF from the browser and got a PDF file that Acrobat reader would open⋯allowing me to search.

The search had several references to HDMI & HD audio drivers, but nada about 5.1 not being allowed.

keepitsimpleengr
December 30th, 2010, 12:34 AM
It's semi-official.

From EVGA and nvidia forums.

For forum see http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=188651&st=0&p=1167921&hl=51&fromsearch=1&#entry1167921 and http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=186862&st=0&gopid=1168205&#entry1168205

especially
ManuelG, on 14 December 2010 - 06:20 AM, said:
This unfortunately is by design. Your HDTV has an internal EDID which tells our graphics card what video and audio modes it supports. Currently it is telling our graphics card that it supports stereo only so we are sending stereo. I am trying to get the driver team to allow the user to override the audio settings similar to how you would do it on a consumer elecronic device (ie blu-ray player, Playstation 3,etc.).

EVGA GT 240 will only support stereo when connected per nvidia's instructions.

Harrumph! [-X

keepitsimpleengr
December 30th, 2010, 10:09 PM
The solution to this problem can be found at:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/96917/508997.aspx#508997