PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Linux because it is free of cost..??

asifnaz
December 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I definitely don't use it because it is free (as beer) but because it is free (as freedom ) for 70 % of my computing time I spend with Linux like music , movies , chating , some games , forums , browsing and tweaking (fixing problems with linux are kind of fun for me , problems are not much often and community is really willing to help )

Other 30 % of my computing I do professionally like writing articles , editing photos , editing videos etc I do with Mac OS X .

Now its your turn

weasel fierce
December 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I use it because it's free as in freedom :)

c00lwaterz
December 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
I use linux because you can try it full featured and you can do whatever you want. you can manipulate it and design it. you can do what you want. freedom. same as above :D

gradinaruvasile
December 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
I like both free beers and freedom. Hence i use Linux. :)

Kingsley
December 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
It makes me feel 1337.

CharlesA
December 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
I use it because it was the best tool for the job.

msandoy
December 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
I like both free beers and freedom. Hence i use Linux. :)

+1, I have to agree with the above.
Here I have both a no cost OS, and an Os that allows me to modify it in every way possible. Just got to love it. :-)

Nimbus200
December 22nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Because of....ummm XWindow??? :popcorn:

My first successful linux installation was about 6 years ago with debian and gnome....love at the first sight :D :D

endotherm
December 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
I started out with it because it was free, but stayed because it is fun (I like a technical challenge), and because I am a bit of an ideologue on software freedoms.

TheLugal
December 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
I started out with it because it was free, but stayed because it is fun (I like a technical challenge), and because I am a bit of an ideologue on software freedoms.

I also started because it was free. I heard about this free OS and had to try it. I instantly fell in love! :D

aeronutt
December 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't use it just because it's free, but I'm not sure I'd use it if it cost $$'s. ;)

jnguyen
December 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I do it for both free & freedom and many other free such as virus/spyware worry free, licenses worry free...and of course the learnings and challenges.:)
jvn

asifnaz
December 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
The learning , challenge part is good . I also like to feel the excitement which I felt like 12 years ago when I was very new to computer .

uRock
December 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
I use it because I like it. I get every version of Windows free as well, but I choose to use Ubuntu.

wilee-nilee
December 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
It is where my journey into started, the freedom of the GNU idea is good, and the free price is nice. I also don't like having to have a activation key needed for a OS, that relies on the vendors, or OS makers approval.

I have a student upgrade of XP to W7, XP has been gone for a long time short of a image reinserted have to have MS approval to activate W7, unless I slmgr /rearm. This method is not disapproved by MS.

mattman85
December 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
I started using OpenSUSE a few years ago in college, when I was doing my computer science and computer forensics degrees. I was a member of ACM, and a few of us got together and formed an LSIG (linux special interest group) on campus. One of the guys had a liveCD of 6.04, and let me borrow it. I haven't touched OpenSUSE since.

I love Ubuntu for its ease of use, lack of windows issues (I deal with them all day due to being tech support), and most definitely its freedom.