PDA

View Full Version : Dead PC

huggies15
December 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hello,
Hoping thi sis the right place to put this, and that someone can offer an explaination.
Ive been running my system for almost 3 yrs now, and id say its been on 60% of the time (day and night). Its been running fine, temps are low and all was well. today i set it off printing something out, and went out to do xmas shopping. came back and the pc was off. Tried turning it on again, powers up (no beep) for 2 seconds then shuts down.
I initially thought it was the power supply, so i got another out of my media pc (its much lower wattage) and tried that, same problem. I then proceeded to remove all the cards, hdds, opticals, and ram, to see if it was just that the other psu wasnt man enough (surely any psu would power the cpu and mb). Still only on for 2 seconds. Tired the first psu still only on for 2 seconds.
Long story short, tried both psus in the media pc and they work fine so its not that. Is my problem a screwed mb, or cpu, or more likely both? or do people think it could be something else?
Ive checked for loose wires and dusted the case, and no new hardware has been added in about 6 months (replaced a hdd for a bigger one).
Thanks for the advise in advance,
Steve Hughes

psusi
December 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yep, sounds like you have eliminated every other possibility besides the motherboard and the cpu.

Grenage
December 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
It's unlikely to be both the motherboard and the CPU, but you can't nail the culprit without a spare.

You can double-check the board for shorts against the case, but that's straw-clutching.

huggies15
December 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
:( and at xmas time as well, oh well.
Been looking at the amd phenom II x3 with a view to unlocking the extra core. Any advise on this? Would be much cheaper than replacing my current intel quad (think it was 6600 cant remember the exact code)

Grenage
December 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
I passed on the x3 and bought an x4. Since the fourth core of an x3 is (to varying degrees) defective, one could end with an unstable PC, if unlocked.

huggies15
December 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
are they decent oc'ers? If i get the cheapest @2.9GHz is it sensible to assume an oc to 3.4ish?

Grenage
December 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I'll leave such questions to others, but I imagine that hardware websites can answer that. The days of over-clocking are far behind me. :)

cgb
December 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Like others have said it sounds like it must be the processor or MB. You could try reseating the processor and heatsink to make sure something isn't going on their. I've had heatsinks break slightly loose and when their is not a good connection between the processor and heatsink it will often behave very similar to what is occurring. You would also want to clean off the old thermal paste from the processor and heatsink and apply new paste to make sure.

huggies15
December 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
yeah, jus tried that, looked promising for a second (it lasted 3 this time) but died again. im resigned to having to fork out for a new mobo and cpu :(

Easy Limits
December 23rd, 2010, 04:34 AM
CMOS battery is dead.

johntaylor1887
December 23rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
CMOS battery is dead.

Not quite. A pc can run without the battery. It just won't be able to "remember" any BIOS settings.

The Real Dave
December 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Did you have it surge protected? Could be fried from a surge.

cascade9
December 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'd guess that its your motherboard, not your CPU. Should be cheaper to replace that than getting a new motherboard and CPU (and probably RAM as well, unless you've got a DDR3 LGA 775 motherboard).

Mind you, buying a LGA 775 board in the hope that its your motherboard thats broken could leave you with 2 running motherboards and a limited and overpriced choice of LGA 775 CPUs.

:sad: and at xmas time as well, oh well.
Been looking at the amd phenom II x3 with a view to unlocking the extra core. Any advise on this? Would be much cheaper than replacing my current intel quad (think it was 6600 cant remember the exact code)

I dont even know if AMD is still maing Phenom II X3s. The only version I've seen on sale is an AM2+ socket version, and you dont want to buy a new AM2+ setup IMO.

I passed on the x3 and bought an x4. Since the fourth core of an x3 is (to varying degrees) defective, one could end with an unstable PC, if unlocked.

Sort of. When the process was still new, there would have been quite a few X3s with one faulty core. As time goes on, the manufacturing process improves, and there are less and less dead cores.

I'm running a Phenom II x2 (550) and both cores unlock just fine with no errors.

are they decent oc'ers? If i get the cheapest @2.9GHz is it sensible to assume an oc to 3.4ish?

Cant be sure about the older AM2+ X3s, but with a decent heatsink and motherboard, the new X2s, X4s and X6s should get to at least 3.6-3.7GHz. 4GHz (and maybe even higher) is possible on aircooling, but the CPU is going to be eating power at those sorts of frequencies.

asifnaz
December 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
I wish fixing a computer was a cheap as in my part of the world .

Here I could just took to a near repairing shop they charge like 3 $ + parts and thats it .

Thats why I am using 9 year old computer right now .

Every time it dies i get it fixed .

you MB is fried by the way .

julio_cortez
December 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
First of all, if you haven't already done it, try clearing the CMOS and see if you are able at least to hear the beep of no RAM or such (it won't cost you anything).

If it restarts once cleared the CMOS, try re-attaching components one at a time and see if it works.

Otherwise, it can be due to a faulty motherboard. Sometimes there are faulty (likely open on top, or even completely broken) capacitors on it that render it unusable.

3Miro
December 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
My motherborad dies like that one day. If you remove the CPU, RAM and Video (if it is not integrated), then the motherboard should give you an error message on boot (some beep signal). If not, the motherboard is dead. Get a new one and keep your old CPU.

Make sure the old RAM is compatible with the new mobo, otherwise you will need to buy RAM as well. Same goes for the CPU.

psusi
December 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM
My motherborad dies like that one day. If you remove the CPU, RAM and Video (if it is not integrated), then the motherboard should give you an error message on boot (some beep signal). If not, the motherboard is dead. Get a new one and keep your old CPU.

Make sure the old RAM is compatible with the new mobo, otherwise you will need to buy RAM as well. Same goes for the CPU.

Not quite. The cpu still has to be there to make the beeps.

3Miro
December 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Not quite. The cpu still has to be there to make the beeps.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm#

Last row of the table:

Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged.

The CPU doesn't have to be placed properly and/or working for the Mobo to give error code.

psusi
December 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm#

Last row of the table:

The CPU doesn't have to be placed properly and/or working for the Mobo to give error code.

Try it some time; it won't make any beeps. Something has to tell the speaker to beep. That something is the cpu executing the bios.

3Miro
December 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Try it some time; it won't make any beeps. Something has to tell the speaker to beep. That something is the cpu executing the bios.

I just finished building three computers and I am not taking any of them apart, however, I will test that next time (if I remember). The way I read it, the chipset has to issue the warning, modern day machines are not as dependent on the CPU as they were years (meaning the CPU is in charge of less stuff, you still cannot go without a CPU).

RandomJoe
December 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Not quite. A pc can run without the battery. It just won't be able to "remember" any BIOS settings.

I actually have a computer that will NOT run if the CMOS battery is dead! It's an older Dell "business" model (Optiplex IIRC?), has a P3 CPU and Rambus memory, to get an idea of the age.

However, I don't know if it would *stop* working if the battery died while running. It was in storage for a long time when the battery died. Wouldn't boot on power up, just beeped at me. Replaced the battery and it fired up fine!

It doesn't always work, of course. A few months ago I had another machine do what the OP's did. Was running when I went to bed, dead when I got up - although the screen still showed the desktop as it was when the thing died. Tried replacing the battery just in case, but that one wasn't so easy to revive... Looks like I had a bad mobo or CPU as well.

tgalati4
December 24th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Out of curiosity, what operating system were you running when the machine died? How large was the print job?

I have a feeling that the print job got stuck in a runaway condition causing an overheat and failure of either the processor or motherboard.

How clean inside was the machine?

Easy Limits
December 24th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I would start with the CMOS battery. It will only cost you $2 compared to the price of a new MOBO or CPU. Most computers that I work on that don't boot but have beeps the problem is a dead or dying CMOS.

psusi
December 24th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I would start with the CMOS battery. It will only cost you $2 compared to the price of a new MOBO or CPU. Most computers that I work on that don't boot but have beeps the problem is a dead or dying CMOS.

He doesn't even have beeps.