PDA

View Full Version : What percent of cell phones can browse the net?

brawnypandora0
December 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
I don't own a cell phone, and bringing my laptop outside of free wifi areas is useless. If I buy a cell phone, even the most basic one, will I be able to access the Internet? Will I be able to browse sites that require Java, or will I have to download it onto the cell phone's browser?

cariboo907
December 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
this really isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

Cuddles McKitten
December 22nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
I bought a $30 or $40 phone from Walmart with a pre-paid plan. It has basic (very basic) browsing capabilities. If you're just looking for text, I'd guess that a majority of phones on the market would be able to do that. If you're looking for images, frames, Java, etc. you'll have to weigh the cost of a cheap smart phone versus the utility.

Tibuda
December 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
and if you want to browse the net outside a wifi network, you need to pay for a 3g service

NCLI
December 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
All recent phones can browse the net, apart from a few specialized for elderly people, and some excessively expensive designer phones.

I'd say around 99.5% of phones on the market today.

LowSky
December 23rd, 2010, 02:14 AM
Most newer phones have access to the internet but the device itself might not have that bog opf a screen or support all internet standards.

If you want your phone to be used as a modem for your PC you will need to find a model that can tether. Most of the newer smart phones can and so can many normal phones too. But you need to check with the manufacturer, and then check with the cell phone company to see if its an addtional charge to tether in the US it is in many cases). Some tether by USB others by using bluetooth and some can use WIfi too.

There are many options out there.

ki4jgt
December 23rd, 2010, 02:47 AM
If you're just wanting something smaller than your laptop, there are a number of handheld wifi devices which can surf the net ranging from $15 - $800 new! I got a $15 dollar one :-) from a company which sells them year round. I don't have a name for the company but the product was a Zipit Z2 and all I had to do was modify it a little. Hak5 covers this in one of their episodes.

weasel fierce
December 23rd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Just about every cell phone today has some level of internet access. How enjoyable said experience is can vary a lot, based on phone and carrier.

RiceMonster
December 23rd, 2010, 03:07 AM
and if you want to browse the net outside a wifi network, you need to pay for a 3g service

Yes, and keep in mind that 3g can be expensive.