PDA

View Full Version : Debranding a HTC Wildfire

Donalt2010
December 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Just wanted to know if there is a way to do it on ubuntu, sometimes I wonder why I totally removed windows 7 from my laptop all together, a simple partition would have done. Unfortunately htc sync aint working in wine:(

Donalt2010
December 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM
So thats a no so far:) Patients is a virtue. Unfortunately ive til xmas eve to get this done.

treesurf
December 22nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
What do you mean by unbranding? SIM unlock?

The best place for Android related questions is probably the XDA-developers forum, where your question has probably already been answered.

Here's the forum specifically for the HTC Wildfire:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=678

Untitled_No4
December 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Install Windows in VirtualBox (I think you'll need the non OSE since I think that the OSE hasn't got USB pass-through support) and do it from there. Not ideal, but still better and quicker than installing Windows from scratch on a physical partition/hard drive.
I have debranded my Sony X10 that way.

LowSky
December 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Why do you want to debrand? Actually I'm not too sure if its totally possible, but you could root the phone easily with unrevoked using Linux (all the app needs is sudo, http://unrevoked.com/recovery/

then install a ROM like cyangenmod or stock android if you with using ROM Manager and Titanium Backup ( both from Android marketplace)

Personally I actually like SenseUI. I think it makes the phone a bit more user friendly.

Donalt2010
December 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
I just want to remove the Vodafone start up screen from the phone as our carrier is o2, the phone isnt for me its for my girlfriend. Bought as an xmas present. I just want that removed so its a standard htc phone. I can get it unlocked on a website. Will 'rooting' remove the vodafone start up screen?

Thanks for your replies:)

treesurf
December 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
No, rooting will not remove the startup screen. But you'll probably have to root the phone to do whatever is necessary to remove the boot animation. Once again, I suggest posting this question in the relevant forum at XDA-developers. That's where the experts hang out.

Donalt2010
December 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Cheers