PDA

View Full Version : Adblock Plus for Google Chrome by Wladimir Palant Available Now!

HappinessNow
December 21st, 2010, 06:52 AM
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome to be released soon ∑ 2010-12-15 17:52 by Wladimir Palant

For a while my official position on Adblock Plus for non-Gecko browsers read like this:

Forget it, I am not writing Adblock Plus from scratch just to support your favorite browser (be it Chrome or Safari or Opera or Internet Explorer). And even if somebody gives me the code ó I am not going to maintain two unrelated projects. This asks for an independent project and in fact, there are already independent projects to implement ad blocking for all of these browsers.

As you can read from this, the frequent requests to port Adblock Plus to <insert your favorite browser here> got quite annoying. Still, it is time to change this position, we are starting to look into ways to cover other browsers than Firefox and SeaMonkey. And we are starting with Google Chrome, a beta version of Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is scheduled to be released soon. Iíll try to give answers to some questions that you are certainly urging to ask.http://goo.gl/iY2US

This is big news...

For all Google Chrome users get it now:
http://goo.gl/fjNOw

treesurf
December 21st, 2010, 07:09 AM
If you were already using the AdThwart extension, it should automatically update to this AdBlock Plus.

HappinessNow
December 21st, 2010, 07:16 AM
If you were already using the AdThwart extension, it should automatically update to this AdBlock Plus.

Good to know for those users who were previously using AdThwart, I was using an extension named "Adblock" but it wasn't affiliated with Wladimir Palant's Firefox build of Adblock Plus.

I am very glad to see a shift in his stance as a developer and port his Adblock Plus to Google Chrome.

shuttleworthwannabe
December 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM
guys, was this not always available from Google Chrome extensions page?

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM
guys, was this not always available from Google Chrome extensions page?

There is already adblock, but not adblock plus ie. a plugin from the same author as the Firefox plugin.

alaukikyo
December 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
There is already adblock, but not adblock plus ie. a plugin from the same author as the Firefox plugin.
what difference would it make?

tjeremiah
December 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
great, I know its in beta but it still doesnt block ads that play before video