PDA

View Full Version : Technology Review 84' to 07'

inobe
December 21st, 2010, 06:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRJ649ICPU&feature=player_embedded

it amazes me, almost as if we've taken two steps forward and six steps back.

thread is not intended to offend anyone, no bashing, regardless of os choice from 84' the results may still remain the same.

smellyman
December 21st, 2010, 06:51 AM
I have seen that before and it pretty much amazes me.

weasel fierce
December 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM
I was showing off my old old amiga 1200 to a buddy of mine the other day. From power button to being able to start an application from hard drive is about 10 seconds or so.

asifnaz
December 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRJ649ICPU&feature=player_embedded

it amazes me, almost as if we've taken two steps forward and six steps back.

thread is not intended to offend anyone, no bashing, regardless of os choice from 84' the results may still remain the same.

Ya its amazing . i kind of eager to know Microsoft response to this video .
anyways Vista sucks

Verbeck
December 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
they cant be compared like that

inobe
December 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM

sure they can.

Evil-Ernie
December 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Interesting but not exactly a like for like test is it? I mean my Amstrad CPC6128 booted up pretty much instantly but could I compare it to my modern PC? No as I use my PC for many day-to-day jobs like sending emails, surfing the internet, manipulating images, playing music, DJing etc etc. The CPC wouldn't have a hope in keeping up with todays demands on a PC just like that 1984 Apple Mackintosh.

Spice Weasel
December 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
But Windows 7 has real transparency, a glass effect and desktop widgets!

OOH, WINDOWS 8 CAME OUT AND IT HAS A SET FIRE EFFECT WHEN YOU SHUT IT DOWN, TIME TO UPGRADE MY HARDWARE!

Seriously, I hate modern operating systems. I always imagined that we'd be beyond BeOS by now. 20 steps forward, 30 steps back...

Lucradia
December 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
sure they can.

Pretty sure Macs used UEFI even back then, so no, they can't.

"They just were compared," is a horrible comeback.

Evil-Ernie
December 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Pretty sure Macs used UEFI even back then, so no, they can't.

Macs didn't use UEFI until about 2006, before that it was open firmware.
One of the best things Apple have done is adopting UEFI, although BIOS has lasted well considering it wasn't designed to last this long at all!

inobe
December 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Seriously, I hate modern operating systems. I always imagined that we'd be beyond BeOS by now. 20 steps forward, 30 steps back...

23 years has passed us by.

Grenage
December 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
You're all talking the talk, but how many of you would actually want to use something remotely close to those old macs?

Personally, I'm happy with a flashy desktop, high-def films and audio, and massive game textures.

P.S: My Windows 7 machine boots in about 7 seconds.

Spice Weasel
December 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't mind as long as I had a semi-modern (read Dillo2 or better) browser and flac/ogg-capable media player.

Evil-Ernie
December 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
You're all talking the talk, but how many of you would actually want to use something remotely close to those old macs?

Personally, I'm happy with a flashy desktop, high-def films and audio, and massive game textures.

Those old machines are cool and have nostalgic value but I would never use one for serious day-to-day work. I would not say no to a complete CPC6128 with monitor and all the trimmings but it would be fired up on occasion, shown off to friends and then put away while I sit back on my PC and enjoy the trappings of modern computing :)

NCLI
December 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
That Win7 system was clearly hadn't been maintained well. He should've compared fresh installs.

Evil-Ernie
December 21st, 2010, 01:45 PM
That Win7 system was clearly hadn't been maintained well. He should've compared fresh installs.

Or indeed a modern Mac.

Sean Moran
December 21st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Just took me 20 minutes to get 26 secs through the video, but I presume the Mac wins.

Imagine how much faster we'd be computing today if Bill Gates had pirated Commodore rather than IBM and the old GEM desktop had been developed to its fuller potential!

oostue
December 21st, 2010, 02:05 PM

Totally right. I am a Linux user so I shouldn't care but I HATE apple. DIE APPLE and bring all of your trend lemming iRobots with you! LINUX!!

TeoBigusGeekus
December 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM
I don't care if my pc boot in 10secs or 5mins, as long as it gets the job done afterwards.

Verbeck
December 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Totally right. I am a Linux user so I shouldn't care but I HATE apple. DIE APPLE and bring all of your trend lemming iRobots with you! LINUX!!
:lolflag:

thats not what i meant...
just as the boot speed, their functionality differs. but i guess that's not the point in this 'Boot fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmRJ649ICPU)'

KdotJ
December 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
As said, they can't be compared like that.
The Modern OS (Vista) has so much more to do than the Os on the Mac. Plus, I'm not a massive fan of Vista but I'm sorry, what was shown there is not a "typical" boot time for Vista. People will say "yeah it is, Vista is sloooowww"... but I've never seen that kind of slow boot time consistently every time on Vista

inobe
December 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
As said, they can't be compared like that.
The Modern OS (Vista) has so much more to do than the Os on the Mac

it started up, what does it have to do ?

apparently the mac had nothing to do :lol:

seriously at that time this was state of the art technology, shouldn't these things set an example.

GabrielYYZ
December 21st, 2010, 11:46 PM
it is an unfair comparison, but i guess booting speeds could get a lil' bit better. UEFI seems like a nice upgrade to the trusty ol' BIOS, i know i'm looking forward to seeing motherboards come with it.

btw, what apple started using in 2006 was EFI, the precursor(right word?) to UEFI.

Zero2Nine
December 21st, 2010, 11:46 PM
Isn't one of the greatest bottlenecks speed of the HD? It hasn't improved much over the years but the load of data to be transfered from HD to RAM has. Maybe solid state HDs bring some relieve here.

TriBlox6432
December 22nd, 2010, 02:50 AM
The OS's are completely different beasts. If you ran the same OS on both machines (good luck!) the 2007 PC would win, by FAR. ;)

witeshark17
December 22nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Still neat to see it though.

MisterGaribaldi
December 22nd, 2010, 05:31 AM
The comparison is interesting, but to be fair, you're talking about comparing an OS which, when installed, takes gigabytes of hard drive space and hundreds and hundreds of megabytes of RAM (not counting pre-allocated RAM and stuff that's basically just cached data) with an installed OS that's something in the vicinity of 100-ish kilobytes which takes up roughly 40-60 kilobytes of RAM.

As far as firmware and types of BIOS used by Apple, here are two Wikipedia articles which explain it better than I can:

Old World ROM Macs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_World_ROM)

New World ROM Macs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_ROM)

Basically, it breaks down like this:

Macs from the 128 -> Quadra/Centris systems are Old World ROM Macs which have one or multiple ROM chips which contain the firmware (known as the "Macintosh Toolbox") for a Mac.

Macs from the PowerMacintosh 6100 -> PowerMacintosh G3 (all-in-one, desktop, tower) also are Old World ROM Macs which use a variant of Open Firmware which contains a copy of the Macintosh Toolbox but treat it as a "device".

As a side-note, all Macs up to this point are technically incapable of booting a non-Apple-supplied OS. The utility Boot X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BootX_(Linux)) circumvents this by having the system initially boot into Mac OS, then interrupting the process early on and "switching over" to another OS, such as a PPC-compiled version of Linux.

Macs from the iMac onward (including somewhere in the middle of the PowerBook G3 line and the PowerMacintosh G3 "Blue and White") through all of the G4 and G5 systems are New World ROM Macs.

As another side-note, all of *these* Macs use yaboot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaboot) in lieu of Apple's own boot loader to boot non-Apple OSs (again, basically PPC-compiled Linux distros).

Apple dropped (or mostly scrapped) all of this when they switched to EFI on their x86-based systems.

There you go.