PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Connection Lost when using Battery Power

kelh09
December 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition on a Dell Mini 9 - worked around a few wireless issues on setup and connectivity has been fine, but now I'm suddenly losing wifi when I unplug my AC adapter. It still shows me as connected, but when I try to view web pages in Chromium, it will load pages for a few seconds, and then suddenly cuts out - though it still looks like it's trying to load the page.

It's the same if I boot on battery power - it will keep trying to connect to wifi but won't until I plug in the adapter.

I'm assuming this probably has something to do with my power management preferences in battery mode, but I'm still pretty new to Ubuntu, and I'm not sure how to fix this. I've played with the options in power management, but I have a feeling there has to be more. Can anyone help me? This has been really frustrating.

bayouwillie
May 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have the same problem in Ubuntu 11.04 with an Acer A4000 laptop with Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

viktiglemma
July 19th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I have the same problem, Xubuntu 11.04. A few minutes after I start running on battery, I disconnect from my wireless network and I can't connect again, even if I plug in the power cable and log in and out. In the end I need to reboot in order to re-connect. (Maybe restarting the internet connection software would work, but I don't know what it's called).

Does anyone have any hints as to where to start debugging this?

Pimpn8ezy
July 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Similar problems for me here with an Acer 2300 TravelMate running Xubuntu 11.04. I am using ndiswrapper for wireless support. I can reconnect, but the reconnection only lasts about 45 seconds before dropping the connection again.

Luckily I'm not on battery power too often, but any assistance would be appreciated.

Ben

scooby1970
July 21st, 2011, 06:40 PM
I have the exact same problem but with Pinguy OS 11.04. Everything was working perfectly in earlier versions of Ubuntu. I'm glad to see I am not alone with this problem, has anyone found or know of a fix?

:) Mark

rodrigogp
April 8th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Did any of you find a solution for this?

Thanks

Pimpn8ezy
April 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I have not found a solution to this problem yet. I'd be curious if 11.10 (or the upcoming 12.04) will fix the problem. Given the qucik boot time, I've just resorted to shutdown when not plugged in, not perfect, but it gets the job done.

My experience with past little issues like these is try what you can, but generally permenant fix doesn't come thrugh until a new version is released.

Ben

lisati
April 9th, 2012, 12:23 AM
This is an old thread, and the OP appears not to have come back. Perhaps if the problems persist for those who try 12.04 we can take another look.

Thread closed.