PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mail Server on own server - not the same old story

neomod
December 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
After days and days spent in reading guides, how-to, forum post and much more, I still have some doubts regarding the possibility of developing a personal mail server having a fully functional ubuntu server. ( of course this is due to my lack of knowledge...hehe :) )

First thing I wish to understand is the focal point "Can I have my private mail server pointing to mymail@myinventeddomain.whatever ONLY IF I have previously registered ( bought ) myinventeddomain.whatever?"

Second thing is: " Could it be a work-around setting up a free dynamic name server ( pointing to my server, where a LAMP stack is already fully functional ) and then use this "name" to create my email? " *
- (*) Example: using my own server, already accessible from outside my lan using a free dyndns name, I'm able to access and manage some web-based services. Is it possible to apply concept two at this situation? The base idea is to have my own email service, with my own domain like neomod@thenameiwant.xxx , so I can create email-based notification between my server and some other email addresses without relying onto some public service ( let's say google or my own isp mail server ).

I have read about the common solution in theese cases ( Postfix ) but in each guide, tutorial, faq or similar I could have read there is no explanation about " How to choose/obtain your own domain name".

Reading forum discussion situation isn't better, because some one clearly states that I need to by a domain name ( ex. godaddy, aruba, etc. ) while some others say that I can realize it on my own just using dinamic dns name and a few other things.

So beg my pardon if this question might seems stupid, but since I already own a domain name+webhost I reallu wish to understand before spending other money.

Thank you in advance for reading!

clrg
December 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Its rather simple.
1. Buy the domain you want
2. Register your DNS server as the domain master
3. Create a MX record on your DNS server
4. Install and configure mail daemon
5. Done :)

I don't think having dynamic IPs is a good idea. Get a fixed one, solves many problems.

neomod
December 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Thankyou very much for yor answer.

According to point 1 and 2, as far as I can understand the best solution is registering for domain+DNS Control Option and then setting up personal DNS

For point 3 I'm not sure if my registrant offers this option...better if i ask before buy.

( the dynamic IP problem could be solved using a service like dyndns or no-ip togheter with an updater daemon, better if included in my router? )

neomod
December 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Its rather simple.
2. Register your DNS server as the domain master

They should point to my IP right ? ( instead of the classical NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM ) But since I'm forced to use dynamic ip, should they point to a Dynamic DNS Domain Name ?

CharlesA
December 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM
They should point to my IP right ? ( instead of the classical NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM ) But since I'm forced to use dynamic ip, should they point to a Dynamic DNS Domain Name ?

The A record, would need to point to your ip address. You can't use another domain name, as far as I know.

Thankyou very much for yor answer.

According to point 1 and 2, as far as I can understand the best solution is registering for domain+DNS Control Option and then setting up personal DNS

For point 3 I'm not sure if my registrant offers this option...better if i ask before buy.

( the dynamic IP problem could be solved using a service like dyndns or no-ip togheter with an updater daemon, better if included in my router? )

If your registrar offers DNS services, they should allow you to create an MX record.