PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Newb to Mythbuntu .. not newb to Linux question

oldsoundguy
December 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Been using Linux in some form or another since Mandrake 4 and Ubuntu for over 4 years as my primary OS, so DO have a limited working knowledge of basic Linux.(and am not afraid of and do use terminal often!)

Want to build a PVR and have the box in hand along with some hardware (DiVico card .. Nvidia card .. etc),so have this forum tabbed.

The primary question is
Mythbuntu vs Myth .. From investigation I am assuming that Mythbuntu is just Myth wrapped up in the Ubuntu control system sans all of the office stuff and not needed packages if the box is to be JUST a PVR/media box.
Is that a good assumption?
Reason being the Myth has some good documentation that explains things in a more common (not geek or heavy user) way.
Is their documentation the way to go for a basic "how to"?

Thanks for any input.

thatguruguy
December 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Been using Linux in some form or another since Mandrake 4 and Ubuntu for over 4 years as my primary OS, so DO have a limited working knowledge of basic Linux.(and am not afraid of and do use terminal often!)

Want to build a PVR and have the box in hand along with some hardware (DiVico card .. Nvidia card .. etc),so have this forum tabbed.

The primary question is
Mythbuntu vs Myth .. From investigation I am assuming that Mythbuntu is just Myth wrapped up in the Ubuntu control system sans all of the office stuff and not needed packages if the box is to be JUST a PVR/media box.
Is that a good assumption?
Reason being the Myth has some good documentation that explains things in a more common (not geek or heavy user) way.
Is their documentation the way to go for a basic "how to"?

Thanks for any input.

You're right on all counts. Mythbuntu runs a myth frontend and backend on a stripped-down Xubuntu.

Myth also has an excellent wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Main_Page) that addresses most issues, although it is sometimes out-of-date. I've noticed that when the wiki is out-of-date, it is possible to get more current information here in this forum.

oldsoundguy
December 17th, 2010, 07:59 PM
thanks for the quick reply .. looks like I have to go get some more ink for the printer!! LOL

Will becoming back often for recommendations and help.

LowSky
December 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
thanks for the quick reply .. looks like I have to go get some more ink for the printer!! LOL

Will becoming back often for recommendations and help.

Why print the info?

Wasting paper like that is just horrible. MythTV is easy to setup and you can look at the tutorial online while setting things up

oldsoundguy
December 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Why print the info?

Wasting paper like that is just horrible. MythTV is easy to setup and you can look at the tutorial online while setting things up

I print individual pages or some sections where I know that I am gong to be visiting frequently.

Just as it pays to have a hard copy of your computer/motherboard manual for quick reference.

Beside that, I re-cycle ALL paper that goes through my place. I can get 50lbs shredded by a not for profit agency here for 10 bucks US.