PDA

View Full Version : The Linux Geeks Project

TuxLyn
December 17th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hey guys, we launched new blog with my IT buddy Visinix. Called TheLinuxGeeks.info (http://www.thelinuxgeeks.info/) We blog there about linux and more. I think its very good idea to contribute to linux world on what we know. We also released some open source code there as well for you guys to enjoy. I would love to get some feedback from community. Please reply with comments and suggestions. Thank you guys :-)

TuxLyn
December 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Just wanted to let everybody know that we are now updating the blog daily, I hope you guys like it.

TuxLyn
December 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Now forum is installed @ TLG, http://www.thelinuxgeeks.info/forum

Let me know what you think guys.

earthpigg
December 24th, 2010, 12:06 AM
the blog has some interesting stuff, but i've got enough forums in my life already :D

TuxLyn
December 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM
@ earthpigg, fair enough comments thanks piggy :-)

ki4jgt
December 24th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I like it, but I would like to say. All I see is how to install software. I'm saying this strictly as personal opinion so don't take it wrong, but could you also include a category system with things such as programming how tos, Program modifications, hacks videos and could you also explain the syntax of the posts you currently do (From the front page all I see is how to install the applications and the commands to follow, can you find an interesting way to tell the user what these commands are actually doing to their systems for the less tech inclined)

**EDIT: Sorry, just basically skimmed it the first time around. I now see the category thing, but it's still all about software, not any developement or hacks or anything to that nature. As far as the what the commands are doing, I just thought about that one, it would probably be best to put this into a category of it's own and tell the readers about the commands and how they function go into detail. Don't forget to make it spicy though. There's nothing people hate more than page after page of tech specs. (Except for programmers)

If you can't do this all with your team, don't be afraid to branch out! You have forums so I'm assuming you must have some readers already.

TuxLyn
December 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
@ ki4jgt, this blog is more for geeks then newbies, all do we do have forum for people new to linux. Please see what "geek" ("a computer expert or enthusiast") means, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek If the comments for commands that we provide is not easy enough for you. I would highly recommend you read some manuals and books or join our forum and ask for help. We will try to help you as much as possible. But I would also suggest you use Ubuntu Forums more and learn about how the linux work before using our blog. We do try to explain as much as possible in our articles, but its more for geeks then newbies :-)

inobe
December 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
site is marked, lots of good stuff in there, nice layout.

TuxLyn
December 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
@ inobe, Thank you buddy. We started out with inova theme and its now highly customized, I've changed a lot of code. Coded authors page, customized archive and much more.

ki4jgt
December 24th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I've been a geek myself for a while, not hacker style. I have hacked websites before. But that was in (probably around 10 years ago) After a midlife crisis which happened a year ago, I jammed everything I know about computers out of my mind. Literally, I can't even remember how to program in BASIC very well.(SmashIndex was already coded before the thing happened) So I went from having a nearly photographic memory to zilch. I understand the commands - I just don't use any modern terminology which makes me sound kind of new I guess, The thing is, I've always had an interest in how things worked below the surface. Yes, you can put this this and this into the terminal, but what actually is it doing? I don't mean to offend you, so please take this gently, I just thought it would be a great thing for people with those kinds of interests. I mean, I pretty much baffled my computer teacher when I asked him how the computer routed the 1s and 0s. He gave me the general answer which every A+ cert has on it, but I wanted to know about the electric parts and not just the software. Which is something I think any geek would be interested in, new or old.

***EDIT: Reread my comment from earlier. Sorry if it sounded a little snotty. I'm still having relapses :-) All in all, you have a great project going on there.

TuxLyn
December 25th, 2010, 12:06 AM
@ ki4jgt, Yeah in that case defiantly need to read more books and manuals. No offence.

ki4jgt
December 25th, 2010, 03:08 AM
@ ki4jgt, Yeah in that case defiantly need to read more books and manuals. No offence.

None taken :-)

TuxLyn
December 25th, 2010, 09:04 PM
@ ki4jgt, but as I've mentioned in the previews post, you are most welcome to come and join our forum for more help if needed.

TuxLyn
March 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
The site has moved to much better dedicated server =) But we could use some fresh bloggers willing to help out posting there articles.

murderslastcrow
March 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hm. I like some of the more technical/general articles, but a lot of posts seem to be unnecessarily Ubuntu-centric. Maybe it would be a good idea to join up with a technical Ubuntu blog out there? Just saying- it's hard to make a new readership without a clear identity.

TuxLyn
March 26th, 2011, 04:06 AM
@murderslastcrow, yes this is true our blog articles is not about ubuntu only. We also do articles on centos and general linux articles. We don't want to be ubuntu-centric blog :-) Linux general is more like it. Hans The Linux Geeks Info title of the blog and domain ;-) Thank you for your comments do.

TuxLyn
June 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Its now been run by my friend. So it has much more detailed articles with screenshots =) Hes been doing very good job updating it regularly.