PDA

View Full Version : The Truth about Bees:

handy
December 17th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Wik-Bee Leaks: EPA Document Shows It Knowingly Allowed Pesticide That Kills Honey Bees

BY Ariel Schwartz

Fri Dec 10, 2010.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1708896/wiki-bee-leaks-epa-document-reveals-agency-knowingly-allowed-use-of-bee-toxic-pesticide

A very interesting read, no real surprises in it though, as it is what we have come to expect these days.

wojox
December 17th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I thought it was odd that I paid so much for honey for my tea.

handy
December 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Apparently there are orchards in China where the blossoms have to be hand pollinated as all of the Bees are now dead. I've read that India also has a real lack of Bees problem as well.

wilee-nilee
December 17th, 2010, 06:22 AM
General consensus is that the CCD is related to a whole possible host of causes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

Besides the humans getting in the way this seems to be a player.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa

It is difficult to get really good data on such a scary thing happening. We wont survive without them probably.

mips
December 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Apparently there are orchards in China where the blossoms have to be hand pollinated as all of the Bees are now dead.

I actually saw that on a documentary about bees where they showed the people hand pollinate the blossoms in a certain part of China.

Naiki Muliaina
December 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I love Bees, they are just such a happy harmless species that bumble about doing their own thing, keeping the plants pollinated and saving the world.

There is an oddly morbid part of me though that would like Bees to move on, human society collapse as we cant get simple crops we always needed, and for someone to find the natural antibiotic's on Honey to be the key to curing all of man kinds ailments. Just really so I can say 'now ya'll shudda listened to me instead of callin me a loony!'. Never mind the fact I am a loony, I just want to say that to people. ;)

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
My uncle used to be a chemist at a company who developed pesticides. He basically told me that when you create an insecticide, it will kill all kinds of insects. He said the only difference between ant spray and hornet spray is that hornet spray is made to come out in a stream so that you can spray them from a distance. They all use the same basic types of chemicals.

So if that's the case, why would they think that a pesticide wouldn't kill bees?

ki4jgt
December 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Cheyenne peppers work wonders for pests. especially the juice. It keeps them off of gardens for about a month. Even works on Deer.

***EDIT: Now when my friend who is into all this new age mumbo jumbo about why radio waves are bad for us tells me that my radio station is what's killing all the bees, I'll be sure to let them in on this little secret :-) Thanks

robertras
December 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm just irritated it was able to get approved when they knew it was bad. If they didn't know, there could be some slight justification, but this is just kinda wrong.

handy
December 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
***EDIT: Now when my friend who is into all this new age mumbo jumbo about why radio waves are bad for us tells me that my radio station is what's killing all the bees, I'll be sure to let them in on this little secret :-) Thanks

I shouldn't have put [SOLVED] on the thread, as it would seem that there may still very likely be a variety of reasons that Bees are taking such a big population hit in so many parts of the world.

Though to my mind the huge use of chemicals in farming & pest control has to be the major cause. As the widely prevalent use of monoculture in farming in combination with all of the chemicals that are used in same has to change the natural balance. Which surely has had effects that we haven't got the slightest idea of about at this stage.

So certain micro-organisms could become extinct & others that were once kept in balance by those now extinct can have a chain of effects that reflect on the health of many species of flora & fauna.

The huge variety of plants & other species that we have & are causing to become extinct is having & is going to have huge effects on life on Earth, which will continue to become more noticeable to the general public as the years roll by.

I think it is more than a shame that we have made such a mess of this gorgeous planet.

mips
December 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I love Bees, they are just such a happy harmless species...

Not to all people, they can be deadly to me if stung. I however have nothing against them and they are a VERY essential part of nature and our food generation. If all the bees die we are in serious trouble.

I've never like pesticides or any form of chemicals used in agriculture etc. The stuff stays in the eco system and gets concentrated the higher you go up in the food chain.

handy
December 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I've never like pesticides or any form of chemicals used in agriculture etc. The stuff stays in the eco system and gets concentrated the higher you go up in the food chain.

I've read that it has got to the point that our rain is now even polluted by the chemicals released by our agriculture & other industries. :(

smellyman
December 20th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Bee movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SMpTXpuuY)...

educational too..:)

handy
December 20th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Bee movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SMpTXpuuY)...

educational too..:)

That looks like fun. :)

But I think this is far more educational:

http://www.panna.org/sites/default/files/Memo_Nov2010_Clothianidin.pdf

& this one too:

http://www.grist.org/article/food-2010-12-10-leaked-documents-show-epa-allowed-bee-toxic-pesticide-

wilee-nilee
December 20th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I've read that it has got to the point that our rain is now even polluted by the chemicals released by our agriculture & other industries. :(

The only water not soiled is deep underground that the chemicals haven't seeped into at this point.

Some of the water soiled though coming from underground sources has been filtered by the process as well.

mips
December 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Also saw a documentary about these chemicals in Australia getting into the ocean and the effect it has on the great barrier reef. Think it was related to the phosphates but cannot really remember.

Really a sad state of affairs...

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM
That looks like fun. :)

But I think this is far more educational:

Maybe, but the Bee Movie actually does a good job of making aware people who normally wouldn't give a rip to watch an educational documentary.

handy
December 21st, 2010, 01:32 AM
Also saw a documentary about these chemicals in Australia getting into the ocean and the effect it has on the great barrier reef. Think it was related to the phosphates but cannot really remember.

Really a sad state of affairs...

Some years back now, they made the use of the organochlorine pesticides illegal here after it was discovered that the chemicals were in the fat of Antarctic seals.

These chemicals were used to prevent termite infestations in wooden houses (lasts for a good 25 years) & in agriculture.

When I was a turf farmer we used it a few times to kill South African Black Beetle larvae, as they used to eat the roots of the turf, you'd know they were there as there would be circles of dead grass. I hated using it, but had no choice as I didn't own the farm.

Anyway, these poisons leached into the waterways, into the ocean & get into everything that is immersed in the ocean.

No wonder cancer, infertility & so many other diseases have been found to have escalated on a per capita basis since the industrial revolution. As we have poisoned the food chain, the air, the rain, the water we drink, the Oceans & other waterways, the soil; so it stands to reason that even if you live in the country & eat organic everything you are still absorbing poisons from far away one way or another.