PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Special, Free Softmaker Office

MoreRam
December 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Until the end of the year, Softmaker (out of Germany) is offering Softmaker Office 2008 for free, and also an 80 fonts package. This did cost about $100, as does Softmaker Office 10, which isn't that much different. It is decent software and probably better than OpenOffice -- and best of all, it has a Linux version. But the font offer only works on Windows and Mac.

Here is the link --
http://www.loadandhelp.de/home-en.html

You have to give them a name, e-mail, and country, and then, they send a serial number.

gradinaruvasile
December 16th, 2010, 08:37 PM
SoftMaker Office is better than OpenOffice (even the 3.3 version) in rendering MsOffice files. But i remember the 2010 version, maybe the 2008 isnt that good.
The interface is different from MsOffice and OpenOffice. The plus is that it uses tabs, just like firefox and the like (maybe the tabs were introduced in the 2010 version, i trialed it).

But it is a pain to work in, it has severe scrolling lag+cpu spikes sometimes (especially when images are involved). Even scrolling is a pain sometimes. And this is on core2duo...

Anyway, its free, why not?

wilee-nilee
December 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I downloaded the 2008 it does not have any save possibilities in a .docx format only up to .doc.

Personally I think poen office is much better then this and abiword as well.

I'm not going to purchase 2010 as I actually have a licensed word 2007 or 8 what ever it is I never use it.

gradinaruvasile
December 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
OpenOffice is has the most features of these , but it is also heavy on resources. But it is granted the best because its price. Abiword axes msoffice formatting/tables badly.
SoftMaker Office 2010 opened all kind of msoffice 2007/2010 files for me that were messed up bad by Open/LibreOffice (3.3).
It also supports odf, but it has slight layout inaccuracies when opening OpenOffice files.

BTW there is Lotus Symphony by IBM that is based on OpenOffice too. It has quite interesting interface including tabbed documents and integrated browser. It is also free.

wilee-nilee
December 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
OpenOffice is has the most features of these , but it is also heavy on resources. But it is granted the best because its price. Abiword axes msoffice formatting/tables badly.
SoftMaker Office 2010 opened all kind of msoffice 2007/2010 files for me that were messed up bad by Open/LibreOffice (3.3).
It also supports odf, but it has slight layout inaccuracies when opening OpenOffice files.

BTW there is Lotus Symphony by IBM that is based on OpenOffice too. It has quite interesting interface including tabbed documents and integrated browser. It is also free.

This is a free 2008 not 2010 there seems to a great difference in what they do, individually.

MoreRam
December 17th, 2010, 01:02 AM

Well, maybe, I should give Lotus Symphony a try. However, I'm using Ubuntu (and 10.04) and the download is an .rpm

I just installed XnView, which is an .rpm, using a debian converter. Well, it is installed, but it is a bit weird, so I can't really use it.

A Google search notes there is a debian download for Ubuntu 8.04, but I cannot find where it is.

I'm not having problems with Softmaker Office 2008. The letter spacing is off in some spots, but that happens to me in OO as well. I like them both. But when can I have a program that lays out in pica. (No, I will not use Scribus).

jonathonblake
December 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Anyway, its free, why not?

Inasmuch as they don't support architecture that has been out for more than a decade, installing and using it requires one to downgrade to that which was available more than a decade

If I was still using hardware from a decade ago, it might be interesting. Wait, I am using hardware that is more than a decade old, and they don't support it, because that architecture is still to new for them to support.

jonathon

MoreRam
December 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Actually, there is a way to install the free fonts offered.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04

Extract the fonts

Go to the Home Folder, and activate the hidden files. (Either using the View menu at the top or hitting ctrl h)

Create a new folder, ".fonts"

Move the extracted fonts to the .fonts folder

Restart Textmaker, or any other Word Processor, and there are the fonts