PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] terminal server over the internet (RDP?) & file sharing

Rihoj
December 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Ok, let me start by telling you the systems I have

Desktop(windows Vista)
Laptop(windows 7)
Server(Ubuntu 10.4?)(Been a little since I messed with it)

Currently the server is only a file server for me.

Well here is the issue, my laptop seems to have a bad HDD, and I was thinking of trying to make it a "thin client." However since it is a laptop obviously I want to take it places. Is it possible to make a terminal server and "thin client" connect through the internet and not just LAN?

The reason I quote thin client is because in my mind I am still going to need to use some HDD so I can connect to the internet and find my server.

To make things easier to read refer to the above as "question 1" and the velow as "question2" Thank you. And sorry for the inconvience. These topics I felt were to similar to make separate topics.

I also have another question, the files I have on my server can be accessed by anyone on the network(added a second HDD and network shared it) how can I make it so that the LAN clients have to "login" (or it uses their computers login info to send them to only their files? And if that is possible can we expand it to allow me to use those logins through the internet?

elico
December 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
1. it is possible.
2. but maybe you should consider using some small linux OS\livecd\usb ?
it can more realistic and useful.