PDA

View Full Version : MacPorts, Porticus, Fink, etc

earthpigg
December 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Hi,

I know there are many Mac users here that also use Ubuntu... meaning that there are many Mac users that are familiar with Synaptic, Ubuntu Software Center, and the whole paradigm of package management we all take for granted.

Of those Ubuntu users that are also Mac users, how do you feel about MacPorts (http://guide.macports.org/), it's GUI front-end Porticus (http://porticus.alittledrop.com/), Fink (http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/index.php), HomeBrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/), and other similar projects?

Do you use any? Which? What packages have you installed, and how stable did they end up being? How do you feel about your chosen package manager in general?

KingYaba
December 15th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I used to use the Mac and I installed MacPorts for giggles. It worked but I had no use for it.

handy
December 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I had a look at MacPorts & Fink, well over two years ago. MacPorts had a lot of packages available, though those that I tried didn't work too well (I can't tell you what I tried it was too long ago for me to remember).

I also tried Fink, within the last year in an attempt to run Worker under OS X. Worker was unstable so I deleted it & Fink. Which was unfortunate really, as Finder sucks big time imho.

kaldor
December 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I use MacPorts sometimes. I like it.

mips
December 16th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Which was unfortunate really, as Finder sucks big time imho.

Finder is probably the worst part of OS X, drove me up the wall. I'm amazed they have not fixed it or replaced it yet as there are much better 3rd party alternatives out there.

handy
December 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Finder is probably the worst part of OS X, drove me up the wall. I'm amazed they have not fixed it or replaced it yet as there are much better 3rd party alternatives out there.

Finder is crap, & the fact that you are limited to a 16 point maximum for the fonts that you are allowed to change in OS X, (which is nowhere near enough of them anyway) is a real deal breaker for people running high resolutions/large monitors & who don't happen still have 20/20 vision.

One of the prime reasons I don't like using OS X, is that it causes me eye strain.

How ergonomic & wonderful is that design Steve?

Apart from those complaints OS X, is incredibly easy to use, stable (from our 10 years of experience) & secure. I recommend it to anyone who is fed up with Windows, & those that have taken me up on it (& a few have) have always been so glad that they did.

I don't recommend Linux to anyone (apart from one nerd once) as I don't want to be in the computer support business anymore.

mips
December 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Finder is crap, & the fact that you are limited to a 16 point maximum for the fonts that you are allowed to change in OS X, (which is nowhere near enough of them anyway) is a real deal breaker for people running high resolutions/large monitors & who don't happen still have 20/20 vision.

One of the prime reasons I don't like using OS X, is that it causes me eye strain.

Lol, dunno if you remember my rant about the fonts, I was going olf like a lunatic on one of the forums we both frequent (can't remember which one) complaining about changing fonts universally etc :D

handy
December 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Lol, dunno if you remember my rant about the fonts, I was going olf like a lunatic on one of the forums we both frequent (can't remember which one) complaining about changing fonts universally etc :D

I know... I can't believe that they haven't addressed this problem after all but 10 years of touting it as being a greater creation than sliced bread.

How would you go with your brand spanking new 30" squillion dollar monitor & you have to use a magnifying glass to read the menu & many of the other system messages!

I've seen no mention of it being fixed in Lion. Which by the way I don't want to know about as it seems to be integrating the Apple shop/marketroid aspect quite strongly into the system.

I recently bought Snow Leopard, which I'll get around to installing (the upgrade didn't take! :() one day as it should be beneficial speed wise at least.

I'll stop now, but I did enjoy that. :)

I like bitchin' to someone who agrees with me... lol

P.S. you know your otherOS talk forum link & title is a long time out of date. :)