PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 6050 wireless card not working

Tazdeviloo7
December 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I'm dual booting windows 7 64 bit and Ubuntu 10.1 64 bit on my Dell Inspiron 11z with an embedded WiMAX/WiFi Link 6050 series wireless card made from Intel. I only use it for wifi, not 3g or wimax. I installed the latest driver from intellinuxwireless.org, iwlwifi-6050-ucode-41.28.5.1, but it still doesn't seem to work.
I ran these terminal commands from another thread:

cd Desktop/wlwifi-6050-ucode-9.201.4.1
sudo cp iwlwifi-6050-4.ucode /lib/firmware
sudo chmod 644 /lib/firmware/iwlwifi*
sudo chown root:root /lib/firmware/iwlwifi*
sudo rmmod -f iwlagn
sudo modprobe iwlagn

After running "sudo rmmod -f iwlagn sudo modprobe iwlagn", I get this read out for my wireless card.

*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: WiMAX/WiFi Link 6050 Series
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 35
serial: 00:23:15:5c:2c:c0
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlagn latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
resources: irq:33 memory:90400000-90401fff

In the ubuntu help section it tells me to flip a manual wifi switch to enable it, but pressing my windows wifi button, F2, doesn't appear to do anything while in ubuntu. The only experience I have working with linux is typing some terminal commands on my android phone to root it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tazdeviloo7
December 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
After doing the previous steps I got the 3G/4G modem to work, but still no wifi.

Tazdeviloo7
December 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Got it working finally, I just need one more terminal command to get it working: sudo linux-backports-moudules-wireless-lucid-generic

JackC64
January 3rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
ive got the same card as you, can you walk me through iit step by step? ive downloaded that driver you mentioned in the first post, how do i install it?

...or maybe someone else could since you haven't been on since you last post...

PatchesTheCaveman
January 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
All the drivers from intellinuxwifi.org are now included with the mainline Linux kernel. The latest version can be installed with this command that Tazdeviloo7 alluded to but can't get correct (at least on LTS 10.04 Lucid Lynx):

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-moudules-wireless-lucid-generic

The correct command for Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat is:

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-moudules-wireless-maverick-generic

phoenixcor
January 5th, 2011, 02:03 AM
i have followed these directions to a t, and have invested a few hours this evening trying to get it right, i followed the last directive

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-moudules-wireless-lucid-generic

but get the following error message

Couldn't find package linux-backports-moudules-wireless-lucid-generic

I explicitly followed the firmware download directions and nothing, wireless connection is still disabled. good thing i had the afternoon off. I have only been using open source for about 9 months, so I am still a bit of a noob, but its things like this that help me learn more. I would greatly appreciated some direction here as to what I am doing wrong. running 10.4 dell inspirion

kind regards,

PatchesTheCaveman
January 5th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Couldn't find package linux-backports-moudules-wireless-lucid-generic
Then you are not running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. You're probably running 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. I also provided instructions for downloading the correct package for that version in my last post.

phoenixcor
January 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM
thanks a bunch for your response. i really wish that was it, and i easily might miss something as obvious at that. i actually just upgraded to meerkat and tried to install sudo apt get... meerkat. and i get the same error message,but i just upgraded and i definitely was running lucid.

what the heck am i missing. modinfo shows

modinfo iwlagn
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.35-24-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlagn.ko
alias: iwl4965
license: GPL
author: Copyright(c) 2003-2010 Intel Corporation <ilw@linux.intel.com>
version: in-tree:
description: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link AGN driver for Linux
firmware: iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2a-4.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-6050-4.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode
srcversion: A52B190E945B17CC5225130
alias: pci:v00008086d00000084sv*sd00001316bc*sc*i*
depends: iwlcore,cfg80211,mac80211
vermagic: 2.6.35-24-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 686
parm: swcrypto50:using crypto in software (default 0 [hardware]) (deprecated) (bool)
parm: swcrypto:using crypto in software (default 0 [hardware]) (int)
parm: queues_num50:number of hw queues in 50xx series (deprecated) (int)
parm: queues_num:number of hw queues. (int)
parm: 11n_disable50:disable 50XX 11n functionality (deprecated) (int)
parm: 11n_disable:disable 11n functionality (int)
parm: amsdu_size_8K50:enable 8K amsdu size in 50XX series (deprecated) (int)
parm: amsdu_size_8K:enable 8K amsdu size (int)
parm: fw_restart50:restart firmware in case of error (deprecated) (int)
parm: fw_restart:restart firmware in case of error (int)
parm: disable_hw_scan:disable hardware scanning (default 0) (int)
parm: ucode_alternative:specify ucode alternative to use from ucode file (int)

i deleted much of the alias info for brevity. i dunno, i am at a loss, but i gotta be close, god bless ubuntu

tippyTdizzle
January 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM
phoenixcor, did you solve this issue yet?

I saw your original post, and must say that I did the same thing for the 6050-series Intel 6052 card wifi/wimax in my Asus K52. And it works. What I don't think I saw mention of in this thread was a Hardware switch. Does your laptop have one? I had to find a solution for mine in a K52 thread, just a simple shell script.

Maybe it (or looking for something similar elsewhere) will help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460790

One thing that may have also helped my case was removing the old versions of the ucode from /lib/firmware so you might also try that. (This was because at one point I noticed iwlwifi liked to grab the obsolete versions rather than the newest one, installed in the same fashion as your first post.)

-T:popcorn:

phoenixcor
January 18th, 2011, 12:30 AM
thanks tippyt. I will give that a try. i thought i might just re-install windows and run it in virtualbox, but im now a soldier for open source, and just wont get down with another os.

qwyzmo
January 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM
I am having the same problems: my 6050 wifi card doesnt work, even after all the above steps.

I also get "Couldn't find package ... " message like phoenixcor above.

question, and i know very little about ubuntu and apt-get, but doesnt apt-get go out over the internet and download the package? if so, how can i get the package without a working wireless network, are you assuming i hook up a wired connection?

wmunguiam
February 6th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the info!

I finally could have WIFI access

I simply run>

root@server:/sys# apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho
Creando árbol de dependencias
Leyendo la información de estado... Hecho
Se instalarán los siguientes paquetes extras:
linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-28-generic-pae
Se instalarán los siguientes paquetes NUEVOS:
linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-28-generic-pae
linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae
0 actualizados, 2 se instalarán, 0 para eliminar y 0 no actualizados.
Necesito descargar 2824kB de archivos.
Se utilizarán 8380kB de espacio de disco adicional después de esta operación.
¿Desea continuar [S/n]? s
Des:1 http://pe.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-28-generic-pae 2.6.32-28.27 [2819kB]
Des:2 http://pe.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae 2.6.32.28.32 [4418B]
Descargados 2824kB en 23s (118kB/s)
Seleccionando el paquete linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-28-generic-pae previamente no seleccionado.
(Leyendo la base de datos ... 00%
159581 ficheros y directorios instalados actualmente.)
Desempaquetando linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-28-generic-pae (de .../linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-28-generic-pae_2.6.32-28.27_i386.deb) ...
Seleccionando el paquete linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae previamente no seleccionado.
Desempaquetando linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae (de .../linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae_2.6.32.28.32_i386.deb) ...
Configurando linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-2.6.32-28-generic-pae (2.6.32-28.27) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-28-generic-pae

Configurando linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic-pae (2.6.32.28.32) ...
root@server:/sys#

My Driver is:
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiMAX/WiFi Link 6050 Series (rev 5f)

And I chooseed the "PAE" only for any compatibility with my Ubuntu 32bit PAE kernel (I needed to have more than 4GB RAM)

outskut
March 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
hey, I'm pretty sure the package title is

linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic

not

linux-backports-moudules-wireless-lucid-generic

typo...

so run:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic

jwhite530
April 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
hey, I'm pretty sure the package title is

linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic

not

linux-backports-moudules-wireless-lucid-generic

typo...

so run:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic

That is correct, however wireless is still not working for me on the same card. I instead went for linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-server since I'm running the server edition (I like to build with LVM which desktop can't do). However, I still have no wireless. I have no wlan0 device at all. Before installing this I did have the wireless icon in my panel but it said wired was not managed and a similar but different message about wireless.

I went ahead and tried the generic kernel instead. When I booted into that I did have a wlan0 but I can't bring it up or scan with it.

Doing an "iwlist wlan0 scanning" as a non-privileged user shows "wlan0 Failed to read scan data : Network is down". When running as root it gives "wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down".

I can't do an "ifup wlan0" or "ifconfig wlan0 up", both fail. Hitting F2 it toggle wireless does nothing.

I don't care if I use the server or generic kernel, I just want this to work. Here is the output of some commands when using the generic kernel:

ifconfig -a: http://pastebin.com/a0J5NiTX
interfaces: http://pastebin.com/PBsi9zdv
lsmod: http://pastebin.com/DzwLtxF6
lspci -vv: http://pastebin.com/Tiuay5xZ

Ubuntu 10.04 Server x64 2.6.32-30-generic

jwhite530
April 4th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Well, I got it working with the generic kernel. I don't know how since I rebooted multiple times during my initial testing, but after booting into my Windows partition and back into Ubuntu it started working all on its own. I made no other changes since the first reboot after installing the backported driver package, but it works.

Although I do have to ifdown eth0 since it brings that up and tries to send data out of it even when the cable is unplugged. Whatever.