PDA

View Full Version : Let's vote Unity for Linux! One of the most promising game engines!

Repgahroll
December 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Unity Game Development Tool is one of the easiest and most widely used game engines nowadays. It's very easy to develop games using it even without much programming knowledge. It integrates seamlessly with Blender, which is the top-1 3D modeler for Linux.

It can compile binaries for Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Wii, Xbox360 and PlayStation 3.

It also can be used to produce high-quality and high-performance interactive web content. The webplayer runs on Mac OS and Windows.

It is completely free to use (even commercially) to produce any kind of game (under certain circumstances that in practice covers 100% of indie devs), and the professional licence is very cheap, which is only necessary if the company income is more than US$100,000.00.

A port for Linux is one of the most wanted features by the users, however, the developers doesn't seem much affected by the requests.

Therefore, i'm 100% sure that if a substantial number of votes begin to pop on their feedback page, they'll be forced to think twice. Let's say something like 20 times the 2nd place (25,000), which is a few compared to the number of users in this forum.

So, please let's make the difference and vote Unity for Linux!

Click Here to Vote.
You can use a number of services to login
(aol, blogger, hyves, live, myspace, openid,
twitter, verisign, wordpress, yahoo) or
you can just inform your name and email (not published).
Thank you. (http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/15792-unity/suggestions/164961-platforms-linux-player-web-player-support?ref=title)
(PS: you need to click "Vote" next to the title after you click the link)

Let's vote Unity for Linux! One of the most promising game engines! So Linux gaming will be a reality in a near future!

Thank you very much.

Repgahroll
December 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Please feel free to correct any grammar/spelling errors, as english isn't my native language.

Also, some mod please move this topic to the right room (Cafe Games i believe). and stick it :).

Thanks.

Edit:

A quick preview of what's coming soon if YOU vote:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=178388&stc=1&d=1292335761

Repgahroll
December 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
*BUMP*
No one's interested???

AllRadioisDead
December 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Voted.

Spice Weasel
December 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I was going to vote, but then I noticed you typed out "Windoze"... I mean, come on.

AllRadioisDead
December 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I was going to vote, but then I noticed you typed out "Windoze"... I mean, come on.
Are you honestly not going to vote because of that? I mean, it annoyed me as well but I still voted.

trinitydan
December 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Are you honestly not going to vote because of that? I mean, it annoyed me as well but I still voted.

I wasn't going to say anything but I thought the same thing. Seems to me that people are taking things like spelling out Windoze or Window$ way too seriously. WTF? I thought this was an Ubuntu Linux forum? Many of us were probably driven here from years of frustration with MS products. Who cares if people express a little disdain for MS products in their posts? He typed Xbucks360 too.:o It's funny.

AllRadioisDead
December 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I wasn't going to say anything but I thought the same thing. Seems to me that people are taking things like spelling out Windoze or Window$ way too seriously. WTF? I thought this was an Ubuntu Linux forum? Many of us were probably driven here from years of frustration with MS products. Who cares if people express a little disdain for MS products in their posts? He typed Xbucks360 too.:o It's funny.
Honestly, I see it as immature and irritating as well. However, that didn't stop me from voting. Just because we're a Linux forum doesn't mean we have to hate Windows.

Linye
December 15th, 2010, 09:08 PM
naahhh

I prefer to play with my Xbucks ;)

PuddingKnife
December 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I always find it interesting when this kind of topic pops up. It seems half of linux users are simply disinterested in seeing modern gaming come to their OS of choice.

Oh, the benefits that would bring!

simpleblue
December 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM
* Voted for Unity *

I find that grammar, especially slang, can have a big effect on me as well. It can make the poster not seem as intelligent as they perhaps are.

Spr0k3t
December 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I voted. If there is anyone else who plans to not vote due to the OP expressing his opinions of misspelling/properly spelling micorsoft or widnows, please let me know so I can create an account for you and vote. I really don't know which is more childish... the misspelling or the complaining. Me personally, I'll happily misspell it all day long and not care.

Just wish there was a way I could use all ten votes for it.

ExileSith
December 15th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Duly voted. And yeah, misspellings in general are irritating, but these I consider more like trite/old jokes. Perhaps I just dont hate Microsoft enough xD

Dustin2128
December 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I'm still anticipating id4's open sourcing in Q1 2011, but I'm for this too.

Khakilang
December 16th, 2010, 04:12 AM
*BUMP*
No one's interested???

Ok, ok 1 voted.

potat
December 16th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Voted!

Unity seems like a great engine, and it's exactly what is needed to increase the quantity and quality of games on Linux. If the simplest and/or most powerful method to develop also happens to be cross-platform, developers won't need a reason to create games for Linux.

Also, it's called Unity. You can't call it Unity and then not make it a "unifying" product.

m4tic
December 16th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I thought directX was the only way to go. will the same games perform just as good as they do on windows?

Sslaxx
December 16th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Whilst I'm not going to be in the position to be able to afford a license for this, I voted. The more tech available to Linux coders the better - free or not.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Voted.

Sslaxx
December 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm still anticipating id4's open sourcing in Q1 2011, but I'm for this too.
Assuming all the issues that held this one up have been cleared up, ditto.

communityofexcellence
December 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I also look forward to seeing this in the future. OP, thanks for your contribution!

Repgahroll
December 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Honestly, I see it as immature and irritating as well. However, that didn't stop me from voting. Just because we're a Linux forum doesn't mean we have to hate Windows.

Pardon...

I'm very sorry guys.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, i just thought it was going to be funny.

I don't hate Windows nor Microsoft products, i simply didn't think the reactions would be exactly the opposite of what i expected.

So please accept my sincere apologies.

PS: The names are correct now. No more Windoze or Xbucks.
PS2: And don`t forget to buy your humble indie bundle #2 (http://www.humblebundle.com/). I hope to see some Unity-based games on the 3rd edition.

communityofexcellence
December 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Don't be sorry! ... Be proud you are a successful multi linguistic interpreter for one, and secondly you're emphasizing the need for the community to show power in numbers and our ability to make a difference.

Jokes aren't bad but being respectful is always best. :)

Repgahroll
December 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I thought directX was the only way to go. will the same games perform just as good as they do on windows?
Of course they will. It doesn't use it on Mac OS and performs as good as on Windows (and DX).

However, due the bad quality of integrated cards drivers for Linux, i doubt it will be possible to play a game as sophisticated as bootcamp (http://vimeo.com/12915284) on Linux with an integrated vga as they are playable on Windows. Unity is so optimized that on Windows you can play this amazing game in highest quality (w/o shaders) in an integrated intel video card.

Nvidia and Ati drivers however are equivalent on every supported system (especially nVidia).

medic2000
December 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I've voted. Come on more votes!

Gugarta
December 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Bumpe!!!

Iv registred only to post this message cuz its very very importamt imo!!!!!!!

Come om men vote.

VOTE NOW or DIE!

zer010
December 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Voted!

asddf
December 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Voted!

alexan
December 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I've seen better (http://unigine.com/) for Linux gaming.
Unigine choose Linux to be part of their business, not just to make "happy" a bunch of kids.

Anyway, have options never hurts.

Spice Weasel
December 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Frickin' awesome.

Sslaxx
December 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Frickin' awesome.
And expensive. And only available to businesses.

Frankly, I don't think Unity is going to be ported to Linux any time soon. Unfortunately, as more choice is always nice.

Repgahroll
December 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Unigine choose Linux to be part of their business, not just to make "happy" a bunch of kids.

Anyway, have options never hurts.

Better than Unity? Why? Just because it supports Linux? =/

You have to prove that Unigine is better BEFORE claiming that.

The fact is that Unity is simply the *best* game engine for indie developers. What other engine allows one guy to make a quality game by himself in a few weeks (and for free)? Otherwise OGRE+OpenAL+Bullet would be much better. Or even bare OpenGL, OpenAL and Havok...

Tell me ONE feature that Unigine has that Unity doesn't... Linux Support is apparently the only one. Unity is free for indie development, Unigine costs US$:10,000.00 the most limited license (up to 40,000.00).

If you think some other engine is better for indie development, please take into account features, graphics capabilities, programming difficult & price, and compare them to Unity.

I surely would like to see some other engine that supports Linux and is better than Unity. But it doesn't exist. We have to face the truth.

Sslaxx
December 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Of the three I'm aware of - NeoAxis, Unigine and Unity - only Unigine supports Linux. Unity is hostile and NeoAxis seems indifferent. And the only (commercial) option Linux devs have is out of the price range of many of them. That's a very crappy situation.

Repgahroll
December 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Of the three I'm aware of - NeoAxis, Unigine and Unity - only Unigine supports Linux. Unity is hostile and NeoAxis seems indifferent. And the only (commercial) option Linux devs have is out of the price range of many of them. That's a very crappy situation.

In fact there's ShiVa. It supports Linux. But the optimization is very basic... (an Geforce 6600 only display some hundreds of faces, on Unity it can easily reach almost a million)...

This situation will be gone when gamekit (by Erwin Coumans, the guy from Bullet) reaches it's stable version. It will support lua and c++, will use ogre (or irrlicht) for graphics, and openal. We'll have to wait some time to see it ready though. I think something like 2-3 years.

dh04000
December 16th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Why doesn't someone here email a writer or editor from webup8 or OMGubuntu? Get some help from a large viewer-ship to push up the numbers.

Repgahroll
December 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Why doesn't someone here email a writer or editor from webup8 or OMGubuntu? Get some help from a large viewer-ship to push up the numbers.

Yes!

My english is very bad, so please, someone email them about this!!

PC_load_letter
December 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Voted!

madjr
December 17th, 2010, 01:13 AM
voted :D