PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to change web addresses of Apache for backup system

draperdt
December 13th, 2010, 03:12 AM
EDIT: Looks like I posted it in security section. I wanted to start this in server platforms forums. Can some one move the thread please.

I know that this question is aimed more at Apache server and maintenance but I was hoping some one could guide me here. I have tried several places for help but I am getting no where :( ....Here is my background.

Hi,

I have spent all weekend to replicate my development server back at home. I have an Apache remote server with 3 IP based virtual hosts pointing to

1.2.3.4 /var/www/www.a.com
1.2.3.5 /var/www/www.b.com
1.2.3.6 /var/www/www.c.com

Now I have been able to set up a VM on my desktop, installed the OS, the applications, the db server, apache etc. Everything is looking good so far.

So right now I have,

192.168.0.111 at /var/www/www.a.com
192.168.0.112 at /var/www/www.b.com
192.168.0.113 at /var/www/www.c.com
So when I go to 192.168.0.111, I go to www.a.com so I guess apache is working aswell.

What I want to do is, instead of going to www.a.com I want to change it to another address such as a.me.add1

How can I do this? I am looking through the virtual hosts section, I have changed server name entry etc but its not working.

Can you tell me in big picture what I would need to do to set that up? My current set up doesnt really help me much once the site get the www address.

Sorry if I am not explaining it right. I can provide my conf files if you need them. I have webmin installed.

Or could you tell me if Document Root of IP address 192.168.0.111 points to /var/www/www.a.com, will it always resolve into that webaddress. That is if I enter 192.168.0.111 the browser will redirect it to www.a.com. What effect does Server Name has in this regard then?

I know I havent explained my problem clearly but I guess thats my problem. I just dont know how to articulate my problem either :(

CharlesA
December 13th, 2010, 03:31 AM
You'd need to change yer dns settings to point to the new domain name.

If you are only working on one machine, add the ip to the /etc/hosts file.

draperdt
December 13th, 2010, 03:45 AM
You'd need to change yer dns settings to point to the new domain name.

If you are only working on one machine, add the ip to the /etc/hosts file.

Hi, I have not edited /etc/hosts file yet.

In apache 192.168.0.111 points to www.a.com
In /etc/hosts if I add 192.168.0.111 a.me.z

When I enter the Ip address, will I go to a.me.z or the .com address?

CharlesA
December 13th, 2010, 04:12 AM
It would go to a.me.z.

You'd have to set the virtual host to point there as well, otherwise you can just throw www.a.com into the hosts file and leave it at that.