PDA

View Full Version : Young entrepreneurs create their dream jobs

linuxforartists
December 12th, 2010, 03:59 AM
This article ran in The New York Times:

Young Entrepreneurs Create Their Own Jobs (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/business/12yec.html?ref=business)

There were a couple of cases where the story vaguely mentions that these 20-somethings used a "free online resource" to launch their ventures.

I wish they'd named some specific tools, like WordPress and phpBB. Would have helped spread the word. Or did the newspaper not want to advertise without getting paid? Okay, rant over.

Granted, using open source software to save money is nothing new. It's still nice to read some positive news in these tough economic times.

Do you have any stories of how open source helped you succeed?

JDShu
December 12th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Somewhat OT, but my first thought after reading the article, is that I have a bad feeling about the new entrepreneurship trend. In 1995, everybody went into Software because it was what the best did. After that, everyone who wanted to make it big did Finance. Now it seems that we get more and more news about how everyone is trying to become an entrepreneur (I recently read an article about how the entrepreneurship classes in top Universities in the US are expanding like crazy).

As for how OSS software has helped me personally, learning to program is definitely much easier when the tools are available for free. emacs, gcc, python, svn, git, etc. etc. All you need is an internet connection to get all the resources and you are set :D In fact, my experience in open source projects probably played a part in getting me into the university program of my choice.

linuxforartists
December 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM
@JDSHu: In response to what you said, yeah, there might be another tech bubble expanding. Nice job of putting entrepreneurship into context with previous fads in finance and software.

Mark Twain put it best: "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

Cool to hear that open source helped you get into university. In my web design classes, I'm constantly amazed at how many powerful tools are available for free.