PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 - Vodafone dongle not recognised?

glitterbump
December 11th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place!
We recently got a new mini PC which came pre-installed with Ubuntu 10.10, so far, so good.
Today, we invested in a Vodafone broadband dongle (model number: K3570-Z/K3571-Z). I've installed the dongle on our old XP machine, with no problems, however, Ubuntu won't even recognise that it's plugged in.
What am I doing wrong? We've had the new machine for 3 days, so I'm really new to all of it and haven't learnt how to use the command prompt yet, so I'm hoping someone has some advice for a complete beginner.
I can't understand why it's not recognising that somethings plugged in, because from what I've found, you need usb_modeswitch in over for the dongle to be recognised as a modem.
I'm very confused and really need some help please!!
Many thanks

yellerKat
December 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hi, here's a LINK (http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/resources/datacards/os/ubuntu) to Vodafone's Betavine open source development site. Hope it helps.

glitterbump
December 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi yellerKat, I've installed the Betavine download (Ubuntu.tgz) etc, and still not recognized.

glitterbump
December 11th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Ok, I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I've found out something under the command 'lsusb'.
I *think* the Vodafone device is known as ID 19d2:1008 ONDA Communication S.p.A. not sure if this will help anyone. I'm just trying to work out how to update the driver (if that's my problem)

yellerKat
December 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Just dug out old Vodafone dongle! If you left-click on the network connections in the notification area do you see: "New Mobile Broadband (GSM) connection..."?

glitterbump
December 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
yellerKat - No!
I have found out that the device is recognised under a device manager thingy I downloaded, but still can't get it to work.
I've installed the Betavine software, and when I load that up it says "select a device" then two options,
1: "known devices" (no devices found)
2: "custom device settings" - no idea what the custom settings would be.
Interestingly, (well!) in the device manager, under USB EHCI CONTROLLER, there are 5 USB Vodafone interfaces, not entirely sure why but I'm wondering if this is part of the problem.

Jack44
January 22nd, 2011, 04:06 AM
Hi Glitterbump,

I had exactly the same problem with the same modem on 9.1 10.04. I found that this:

www.sakis3g.org

got it working without too much trouble.
I had exactly the same problem with the Betavine software too,

Hope this helps (a month later)