PDA

View Full Version : Pentium D vs. Athlon 64 X2

dmillerw
December 11th, 2010, 02:43 AM
So it's holiday time once again, and I'm looking to get a computer better then what I have currently, now, unforunately, I don't have much, so I'm looking more in the realm of semi-old, used computers.

I've found two, one has a Pentium D, the other, an Athlon 64 X2.

Is there any advantage over the other for those two? Or should I try for something different entirely.

themarker0
December 11th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Without a spefiec model, its just the socket.

Windows Nerd
December 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM
All I can remember is that back in those days the Athlon 64 series was performing better than the Intel equivalent from that same time period.

However, at that point, it is just a CPU, and a computer is much more than that, so I can't really recommend one over the other.

inobe
December 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM
it doesn't matter unless we are that particular to notice minor indifferences between the two, honestly there are better things to do.

JBAlaska
December 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_D#Comparison_to_Athlon_64_X2

mips
December 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Athlon 64 X2 is the way to go if those are your only two options seeing they are pretty old.

The AMD has a superior architecture, the North Bridge is on the CPU so the cores can communicate directly internally where the Pentium D has a external North Bridge with less bandwidth.

The Athlon64 X2 is in most cases cheaper, faster, cooler, and consumes less power than the Pentium D.

The Athlon 64 X2 will smoke the Pentium D in just about everything you throw at it.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-328-8.htm
http://techreport.com/articles.x/8295/16

Where you from and what is your budget if you don mind me asking?

Maybe we can give you a list of components to build a system that falls within your budget that might be better than what you are currently looking at.

screaminj3sus
December 11th, 2010, 07:11 PM
So it's holiday time once again, and I'm looking to get a computer better then what I have currently, now, unforunately, I don't have much, so I'm looking more in the realm of semi-old, used computers.

I've found two, one has a Pentium D, the other, an Athlon 64 X2.

Is there any advantage over the other for those two? Or should I try for something different entirely.

Don't look at pc's that old, its really not necessary. Any low budget dual core is gonna be faster than a pentium d.

Lancro
December 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I use an Athlon 64 X2, I have been using it for more than 2 years, and Im glad with it, I would suggest AMD, I have always prefered AMD over intel, since we have the choice...

P1C0
December 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I went from a Pentium D 3.20 GHz to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (sAM2) 3 years ago and AMD is much faster.

I've been owning it since 2007. It is also much cooler than the Pentium D. I have a Pentium D 3.00 GHz at work that runs at about 55 C idle (OK it could use some new thermal compound and an extra exhaust fan as I have at home), when my AMD at home is at about 25 C (no j/k).
Both with custom company fans.

Also I find the AMD CPU fans to be less noisy than those of Intel.

3Miro
December 11th, 2010, 10:41 PM
When you buy a used computer, the overall state of the machine is more important then the parameters. A good Pentium 4 is much better than a busted Core 2 Duo.

I would personally start inquiring form the Motherboard, IMO this is the most important component of the machine.

For the CPU, low end Athlon X2 may be worse than Pentium D, but in general that generation of Athlon was better than Pentium.

screaminj3sus
December 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM
All you need to know is pentium D's were terrible :)

Spice Weasel
December 12th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Also I find the AMD CPU fans to be less noisy than those of Intel.

It's never a really good idea to stick with a stock fan anyway. Even the really cheap ones are usually better than the fans AMD/Intel bundle with their processors.

BigSilly
December 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Well I'm no CPU expert at all but I've had an X2 5200+ for about two years now and it's been brilliant. I'm using it on both Ubuntu 64 bit and W7 64 bit, and no problems. People keep telling me I ought to get a quad nowadays but there's just been nothing lagging in my current performance to warrant it.

NightwishFan
December 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I used an Athlon 64 x3 3800+ for years. It is certainly outperformed by my Intel T4000 (even being a mobile chip) but it was very reliable.

3Miro
December 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I used an Athlon 64 x3 3800+ for years. It is certainly outperformed by my Intel T4000 (even being a mobile chip) but it was very reliable.

I had an Athlon X2 5600, this was falling short of Core 2 Duo, but it would out perform anything Pentium even Pentium Dual Core. The model does make a difference for speed, but all Athlon X2 models were very reliable. I would go for that, of course assuming all the other components of the used machine are still functioning well, even the latest Phenom II X6 will fall short of Pentium D if it is paired with bad RAM or Motherboard.

Junosix
December 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Blimey, I didn't realise that the X2s were regarded as old hat these days. I've got an X2 3-something-thousand running with 4GB RAM and it's great!

screaminj3sus
December 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Personally I think buying a pc with specs this old is silly. You can get a totally low end machine that will have a better processor than a 5 year old Athlon or Pentium D, and a better upgrade path.

P1C0
December 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM
It's never a really good idea to stick with a stock fan anyway. Even the really cheap ones are usually better than the fans AMD/Intel bundle with their processors.Well it depends on what your needs are. But what I've found to keep the box and thus the CPU cool is a 12cm fan that blows air into the box in the front and a 12cm fan that blows air out of the box in the back.

Air current works great! Also a very thin layer of good thermal compound is always a good idea to go with.