View Full Version : [ubuntu] detects wireless but wont connect?

December 10th, 2010, 03:24 AM
So I installed Ubuntu 10.10 and clicked on the wireless button in the top right corner and it detects my wireless just fine. But when I click on the name of my wireless network Ubuntu asks for my password and encryption, the four it lets me choose from are not the ones I have my router set to. But some how I opened the little window with the tabs that have the wireless options to edit,add and delete a network.

Better tell you my router info ;) before I go any farther. I am using a Linksys wireless-g 2.4GHz broadband router. The security mode is set to WPA-personal and the encryption method is TKIP.

I choose in the encryption drop down menu WPA & WPA2 personal but I'm not sure if thats right because the encryption on my router is WAP-personal? Anyways once I enter that information (I didnt mess with anything but the encryption and SSID) I add the wireless network. The thing is I have no clue how to make Ubuntu try and connect to the wireless network. The reason I dont think its trying is because the box that comes up when I try and use one of the default four it lets you choose from when you just click the name of your wireless network from the drop-down menu when you click the wireless icon at the top right it says the connection failed.

I apologize for such a long post but I want to make sure if you can help me you have all the info you need. If there is any more info you need just let me know. If you do need more info please explain how I can get it to you (just started using Ubuntu yesterday).