PDA

View Full Version : IMO Linux Is the best OS

joelkat
December 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I wish I wouldve done this sooner except for the crappy printer company I have I have to buy a new one but whatevs I love linux I never used my computer this much now I just love to use it! thank you for this great OS released I love ubuntu 10.10!!

marin123
December 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
glad you like ubuntu, but what you see isnt linux. linux is "just" kernel. kernel is program that manages resources (like cpu, ram, hdd etc.) and manages programs you run, so basically you never see linux. and btw, ubuntu is based on debian, which is based on GNU/Linux, and GNU/Linux is based on unix :D

kaldor
December 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
glad you like ubuntu, but what you see isnt linux. linux is "just" kernel. kernel is program that manages resources (like cpu, ram, hdd etc.) and manages programs you run, so basically you never see linux. and btw, ubuntu is based on debian, which is based on GNU/Linux, and GNU/Linux is based on unix :D

Not based on UNIX, but yes.

marin123
December 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Not based on UNIX, but yes.

not based on unix, but made similar to it. i wrote wrong :)

Spice Weasel
December 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM
At least he didn't call it Ubuntu/Linux, like some people seem to.

'Grats on finding the OS for you. :)

asifnaz
December 9th, 2010, 03:08 PM

'Grats on finding the OS for you. :)
Many people have flammed me writing Ubuntu/Linux where / means "or" . If Ubuntu is not a Linux what is it . It is linux but has its own flavour .

Evil-Ernie
December 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM

I think I've been guilty of that! :P

Glad you have discovered 10.10, it is a fantastic version and I haven't had the need to fire up my XP system for over 2 months now :D

Spice Weasel
December 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Many people have flammed me writing Ubuntu/Linux where / means "or" . If Ubuntu is not a Linux what is it . It is linux but has its own flavour .

It should be Ubutnu/GNU/Linux, but that's just incredibly confusing. Canonical just call it "Ubuntu Linux".

conundrumx
December 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Linux began life as a minix clone, which in turn was a UNIX compatible open source OS created for educational purposes.

As far as Linux being the best OS, OSX is obviously superior. :popcorn:

Simian Man
December 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
glad you like ubuntu, but what you see isnt linux. linux is "just" kernel.

No. Linux does refer to the kenrel, but it is also a general term for any operating system that uses the Linux kernel. According to wikipedia:

Linux ... refers to the family of Unix-like computer operating systems using the Linux kernel.

This has been the general usage for many, many years so don't "correct" people who use that terminology.

alaukikyo
December 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
this belongs to the testimonials

Chame_Wizard
December 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I can't do anything without h 4 virtual desktops.:guitar:

phrostbyte
December 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Agree with the title 200%. :D

oldsoundguy
December 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Re- Changing the printer in order to us (any) Linux.

Ya buy a garbage printer for Windows and it lasts for a year before it craps out and you expect (any) Linux to support it?
Think not!

You will find that the REAL printers are well supported by the Linux community. (HP supports their own!)

Also remember, that cups comes out of OSx/Apple .. (the "supposedly" superior (but expensive and hardware restricted) software) .. so if there are printer issues .. blame Apple for NON SUPPORT.

RiceMonster
December 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
It's the best at certain things, I suppose.

CallingOfZombies
December 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The title says it all... :D

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
This thread was closed as it was unfairly hijacked with posts that were unnecessary and were trollish in nature. Those posts have been removed however unfortunately the thread will remain closed to stop a repeat performance.