PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] video card in fire...

emirbugra
December 9th, 2010, 01:37 AM
hi everybody.

my laptop is lenovo g560 i5 2.27 ghz, 4 gb, geforce 310m. and i'm using ubuntu 10.04.1 amd64 linux. i'm looking hardware sensor and vidoe card minimum value is 56 C. processor value is 52 C min. why is this so hot? how do i reduce the temperature of the video and processor?

thanks a lot...

lovinglinux
December 9th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I don't think that is so hot, specially for a laptop. However I don't have any data about which temperature your processor and gfx card should run.

My desktop processor is a Core 2 Duo, which doesn't heat very much, runs at 35-45 C and my gfx card runs at 56-65 C.

mastablasta
December 9th, 2010, 08:28 AM
i checked a bit arround the net and it seems that 52+ is normal for working processor.

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=771&catid=13&Itemid=27&limitstart=7

Things you can do is check if there is any programme running that is taking your CPU (in system monitor) or even better by using terminal command

another thing you could do is blow some air from an air can into the openings on your laptop.

GPU is porbably on normal temp.

gradinaruvasile
December 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Laptops have higher working temperatures typically.
I have a Dell D630 with Core2Duo and i have 43-44 degrees minimum. It jumps as high as 70-80 in a matter of seconds if the CPU is at full speed.
The GPU is a nvidia Quadro 135M, that runs on 53-55 degrees typically.
I have a cpu usabe monitor on my taskbar and it is very handy of instantly detecting if anything starts to eat cpu (followed by a top).

emirbugra
December 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
thanks a lot friends... comforted me inside your answers