PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Urgent question on nvidia card (7600gt) and drivers

bailout
December 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I am considering buying a 2nd hand Nvidia 7600gt card to use in an old pc. I was assuming that I wouldn't have any problems with drivers being Nvidia but doing a quick search have seen references to nvidia legacy drivers. I had problems with a previous ATI card when they dropped support for that and don't want to go through the same again.

However, when I look at the nvidia driver site both the current 260 and the legacy 173 drivers list the 7600gt in their list of supported cards. Can anyone explain why the card is listed on both current and legacy drivers? Also if anyone is using a 7600gt, are there any problems with it and 10-10?

thanks

Fafler
December 8th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Well, the card is supported by the legacy drivers, isn't it? This might matter for people using different cards in multimonitor setups.

But back to your question. The 7600GT is really well supported. Just remember to install the drivers through the hardware drivers wizard. It's a lot less hassle than downloading it from Nvidia. Put the card in and boot up and i even think Ubuntu offers to install the driver for you, the first time you boot.

One last thing. If you want stuff like video decoding, you should atleast go for a 8xxx series card, or even a 9500 or GT210. They can be found quite cheap.

bailout
December 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps you are right with the multicard scenario. I assumed that as cards were deemed too old for full support they would drop into the legacy driver.

Yes, I know the 7600gt is getting a bit old now but hopefully it should cope with what I want it to do.