View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound device vanished on HP 2133 Mini note / Ubuntu 10.04

December 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM

I stumbled on a rather strange issue with my HP 2133 MiniNote equipped with Ubuntu 10.04. I attempted to use Skype to see if the webcam works or not and while I was at it I made a test call. The voice of the "instructor" lady came through fine until it was my part to see if my Microphone actually worked or not. I blappered a while and when the playback was supposed to come, I heard nothing.

So I started to check if I had it muted for some reason. So I went to System -> Preferences -> Sound and realized that under "Hardware" tab I had no devices listed, same thing on Input and under Output I had only "Dummy Output - Stereo".

I read from https://wiki.edubuntu.org/LaptopTestingTeam/HP2133 that this might happen with the older alsa drivers, so I did the upgrade to 1.0.23, but nothing changed, I still have no audio devices:

~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
Compiled on Dec 8 2010 for kernel 2.6.32-26-generic (SMP).

~$ sudo aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: VT82xx [HDA VIA VT82xx], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any ideas on what might cause this is highly appreciated!

December 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I got this case fixed now with the instructions in here:

Though I am still able to reproduce the behavior when running skype and performing the test call. Any ideas how to get rid of this problem?