PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem on detecting PCs with Ubuntu 10.4

Rocky73
December 8th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Good day and thanks in advance to any who can give me help on my problem as stated below:

I have installed ubuntu 10.4 to four of our computer in school because the previous OS (feisty fawn) is already out of support form ubuntu community. So I tried the ubuntu 10.4 (lucid lynx). However, unlike in the previous OS, I cannot detect any computer using the new OS. I have already edited network connections issues such as ip address, group and DNS. In fact it can connect to internet but, it can ping other PC installed with new OS, but sad to say it cannot detect any the other computer with such a new OS. however it can detect other PCs with windows and feisty fawn OS. I really need to fix it for file and resources sharing in school. Any help will be very much appreciated.

manoftao
December 8th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Same problem here.. But simpler.. Two computers: 1 desktop - Ubuntu 10.10, 1 laptop - Lucid 10.04.. Neither can see each other in the network nautilus window. The desktop cant even see itself in the network window. Installed Samba, tried 3 different tutorials on sharing folders, no success. I am a novice, which means I get lost in the techno babble.. Sick of using external drives to transfer files across.. Frustrated.. I can right-click, share folder, etc.. Bottom line: machines cant even see each other! least of all access folders.. Help.
Love Linux tho