PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] mythtv 0.24

benlyboy
December 8th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I have just reinstalled mythbuntu 10.10 after a hard drive crash. I now seem to have a good stable system.

I would like to upgrade To mythtv 0.24 But have some worries

First.... I see on here that some people seem to have trouble with the upgrade, how common is this problem?

Second... I see that after the upgrade they say you should rescan for the audio. how do you do this?

Last of all... Whats the upside and down side of this upgrade?

thanks

thatguruguy
December 8th, 2010, 03:51 AM
First.... I see on here that some people seem to have trouble with the upgrade, how common is this problem?

Whether common or not, it's a situation that's easily fixed.

Second... I see that after the upgrade they say you should rescan for the audio. how do you do this?

There's a button in the frontend set up to scan for audio devices in .24. It's fairly self-explanatory and pretty easy.

Last of all... Whats the upside and down side of this upgrade?

thanks

I can't speak for everyone, but here are the major pros and cons for me:
CON:
1. It took a while to figure out how to get everything set up, particularly the audio.

PROS:
1. Now that everything has been set up correctly, it has worked really, really well. In particular, the audio is much better on analog recordings than it was in 10.04.
2. I like the fact that scanning for metadata (screenshots, descriptions and fan art) of my video files now works automagically. Since I have > 500 video files (movies and TV series), having to set up the metadata myself was unwieldy.

benlyboy
December 9th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Hi thanks for the reply

I will give it a shot over the weekend.

I do have one last question. in the first box I would select 0.24 but the other box has "DE" or "PPA" what should I set this box too

Thanks

jb5
December 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM
PPA will work.

I think DE is the repository based in Germany.

benlyboy
December 10th, 2010, 11:54 PM
thanks for the help

I will give it a go over the weekend ...stay tuned in case I send out a SOS...:-)

GuiGuy
December 11th, 2010, 04:51 AM
thanks for the help

I will give it a go over the weekend ...stay tuned in case I send out a SOS...:-)

I moved to 0.24 yesterday. No problems and I did like the "SCAN FOR SOUND" option. Sorted out the problems I was having with sound over HDMI.

Cheers

benlyboy
December 12th, 2010, 12:01 AM
well I did it!

It all went very smoothly the only thing that worried me was the when I did the update it told me it could only do a partial update, but every thing seems to be working when the update was finished. After the update had finished I tried to do another update to see if anything had been missed, but it showed there were no updates to be done..

So I guess all is good.

Thanks every one for the help