View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power issues?

John Long
December 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Good day! So this post isn't necessarily related to Ubutnu. I use Ubutnu 9.10 on a desktpo of mine that is not booting up normally.

The problem occurs far before the OS tried to do anything. Directly after I press the power button my desktop flashes and turns on. The CD-ROM drive works and sometimes the keyboard will light up and stay on, the mouse also lights up. Both keyboard and mouse are USB. All the fans inside are working fine. Normally after I press power I hear the fans and then the 'beep' in which my monitor flashes on and starts doing it's things. Now it just sits there, running fans, lights on, keyboard and mouse lit but nothing happens. Strangely, sometimes after sitting like this for 2-10 minutes it'll 'beep', the monitor will flash on and BIOS will begin, computer boots up fine. Other times, everything will just turn off.

What's happening? Where could I start?

Thank you!

December 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Take out the memory modules and re-insert them. Also make sure all PCI(e) cards and all cables are firmly inserted in their sockets.

Once you get it running, install memtest86+

John Long
December 9th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I removed and reinserted all my memory sticks and the computer turned on alright.

I'm now running memtest86+... for the last 18 and a half hours. There is a lot of red in the second half of the screen. It's currently running 'moving inversions, random pattern' test.

When this is finished will I have any applicable data that I can use? Or should I run this a different way? How will I know what one of my four memory cards is screwed up?

I have four memory cards, all are 2 gigabyte each.

Thank you!

December 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Does it find any errors? If it does, your memory is either faulty or misconfigured.

What text is printed on your memory modules?