PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sharing internet between 2 comps + Laptop

electric-wildflower
December 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone i wonder if anyone could help me with my problem. I am looking to share internet between a Laptop + 2 computers and carn't for the life of me figure it out and looked around and seem to come stuck with a answer. This is how it's set up.

Routers
-------------------------------------------------------
Talk talk Router (Internet Enabled) - downstairs
Talk Talk router (No internet ) - Upstairs
-------------------------------------------------------

Devices
--------------------------------------------------------
EEEPC - Wireless connected to Talk Talk downstairs + Ethernet to Talk Talk Upstairs
RM All in one PC - Ethernet connected to Talk Talk Upstairs
Server - Ethernet connected to Talk Talk Upstairs
---------------------------------------------------------

so some how i need to enable the EEEPC to share the net but i can not for the life of me work out how to do it anyone got any ideas

Thanks in advanced.

cariboo907
December 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Have a look at this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing) help page, it should point you in the right direction.

ajgreeny
December 6th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Talk talk Router (Internet Enabled) - downstairs
Talk Talk router (No internet ) - Upstairs
I don't quite understand this quoted part of your post; you can only have one router connected to a phone line at any time, not one upstairs and another downstairs, both connected and getting the internet.

Is that what you want, because if so, you will be disappointed. It might be easier to get wireless adapters for the computers that need it rather than try to get wires through the ceiling from upstairs to downstairs.

pricetech
December 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Wireless adapters for the two computers in question is probably your easiest route. If you're trying to use your laptop to provide a connection to the other two computers, you'll need to do away with the upstairs router and replace it with a switch.