PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics Driver with Ubuntu 10.10 on Lenovo W510

tate_harmann
December 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hello,
I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a Lenovo W510. Everything seems to be working fine except for a minor issue with the graphics driver. Upon a fresh install everything looked great but the graphics were really slow using the Noveau driver. So removed the Noveau driver and installed the nvidia driver with the "additional drivers" utility in ubuntu. It installed and it works way faster than Noveau...but it seems as though it changed my Desktop theme somehow. My linux look and feel seems to have reverted back to ugly square grey boxes and hard edges haha. I have two screenshots to show what I mean. As you can see...before I installed the nvidia driver everything looked like an Ubuntu 10.10 desktop...but after it's quite ugly. Look at the upper panel for an example. Originally it was black, but with the nvidia driver it's grey and ugly. Is there something simple I'm missing? I performed the same steps with a Lenovo W500 and everything worked fine (I think those run an ati graphics processor though). Any ideas on how to restore to the original Ubuntu 10.10 look and feel would be appreciated.

Thanks!

tate_harmann
December 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
UPDATE:

It must be a driver bug as this "fix" seems to take care of the issue:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/nvidia-96-driver-ubuntu-10-10-fix/

Except using the basic nv driver takes away my dual-monitor capability :(