PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WiFi/Network Manager: "No working leases in persistent database - sleeping"

Finnius
December 5th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hello,

When i try to connect to a wireless network with:

sudo iwconfig <interface> essid "essid"
sudo iwconfig dhclient <interface>

I get the reply:

...No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

There is a DHCP server running, all my gear is setup right, and my wireless is in range.

The simple question i ask is: Can Network Manager interfere with my manually requesting an ip address to produce this error - as i only get this error sometimes?
If not what else can produce this error?

Cheers ;)

northd_tech
December 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Finnius,

Do you know what kind of wireless interface you are running? It should be indicated if you can copy/paste the results after running the following terminal commands (you might need to do this after a "clean" reboot if you have changed configuration very much):

lspci
lsusb
lsmod
sudo lshw -C network
ifconfig
iwconfig
I think the easiest way would be to run the network-admin executable to set an IP address manually, but are you sure this is even necessary for your network?

I've never had to manually configure IP addresses in order to connect to any wireless network with many versions of Ubuntu on many computers- I just let the dynamic addressing and router(s) do their thing (unless your wireless router has been configured to only recognize/allow certain IP addresses, but that is usually a MAC hardware address "recognition" in the router settings from what I recall).

Now the WPA, WEP, WEP2 wireless encryption keys are another matter, but you would be seeing a different error if that were the problem, I believe.

Finnius
December 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Gday,

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to get out of posting more info as i was not on my Ubuntu machine when i originally posted...

-My wireless adapter in iwconfig:

ralan0 RT73 WLAN ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-121 dBm Noise level:-143 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

-My wireless adapter in ifconfig:

ralan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr **:**:**:**:**:**
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

-Your quite right encryption is not a problem
-There is no MAC address filtering on the router
-The reason i am setting it up manually is because i dislike Network Manager - i have found it to be unreliable.

I have a feeling that network manager is interfering, but intermittently...because it also tries to get an IP address through DHCP -any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated

northd_tech
December 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Well, I prefer WICD to Network Manager myself (and WICD requires you to uninstall the [Gnome] Network Manager as they conflict- or they did before Ubuntu 10.xx at least and I seem to have both on this version of 10.04.1 LTS).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin/Wicd%20on%20Ubuntu

It should be available from System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manger and then search for "wicd" in the search box. I installed all of the "wicd-..." choices while I was in there (there were about 6-8 of them as I recall, including the development, scripting, and python add-ons).

cmschuster
April 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Finnius,

did you solve your issue?

i think i am having the same problem with my wifi set up. i have the belkin 7050v3 with the RT2571W chipset (RT73).

posted on linuxquestions.org, but havent gotten any takers yet.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/belkin-f5d7050-v3-rt73-usb-wifi-on-debian-cant-connect-to-router-939381/

can you shed some light on how you solved your issue?