View Full Version : [ubuntu] GoogleTalk Voice Chat on Empathy

December 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hi there,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 32bit on my Acer Aspire 5542 and I've never been able to talk (voice chat) via Empathy to anybody. I use it for Google Talk mainly.

When the call is connected, I don't hear anything from the recipient and they don't hear me either. Literally, voice chat isn't available on Empathy.
So, every time I want use Gtalk to talk to somebody, I have to reboot and go into Windows. As you can imagine, it's not at all pleasant.

I have searched for the solution on the Internet and most of threads I found were either too old, too complex that they don't make sense or don't apply to my situation.

So, please let me know the workaround.
It would be great if I can configure Empathy to fit the purpose.

Many thanks and regards,

December 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I had a similar issue, the fix was simply to go to System > Preferences > Sound > Input tab and set the device for sound input to the microphone.

Probably not the same issue for you, but maybe worth a check.

December 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for speedy reply :)

Mine has 3 options; Microphone 1, Microphone 2 and Line-In.

I remember fiddling with this back in Karmic because Skype wasn't working and found out the sound input on Ubuntu was inconsistent (probably firmware issue).

However, a lot of problems I had back then were sorted automatically on Lucid apart from this one.
I can give give it a go and change the input options one by one before calling somebody.

I think I will have to use "Line-In" option if I'm using the headset, right?

I don't think this will solve my problem but I'll try and let you know.

Cheers and regards,

December 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Right, I've played around with Microphone options but it really didn't work.

It's frustrating I can't use Google Talk on Ubuntu, and the possible replacement doesn't work with voice chat.

Does anyone have any wicked configurations or fix for this?

Please give me ideas, suggestions or workarounds on this.

Thank you.

December 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Nobody has any solution???

Am I the only one who has problem using Google Talk on Empathy?

As far as I'm concerned, you can't use Wine to use Gtalk either, can you?

So, let me know if there's any work around for this people.