PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation questions regarding hardware.

oftheninth
December 4th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Hi there!

I'm pretty sure this is the right place to be writing to, but if I'm wrong I apologise in advance -- I'm really not an avid forum user.

A few years ago I tried Ubuntu out and really liked it, however there was not much support for my ATI video card and to my regret due to major instability issues, I had to uninstall it and return to Windows. Since then, I've got a new system (A laptop) and have been considering trying again, but I wanted to ask those out there more knowledgeable than me whether it's worth the attempt with my system specifications.

To that end, I'll list them:

17" Laptop Dell Studio 1747 x64-based
Intel Core i7 - 4 cores @ 1566 MHz each.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1GB Video.
ATI High Definition Audio
Currently running Windows 7.

I suppose I should also add that one of my primary concerns is I'm a semi-frequent World of Warcraft player and being able to run that without issue is mandatory. I truly hope so, because I'd love a change from W7.

So based on that, any of you experts out there figure I'll be able to get it running without complication? Or am I still better advised to wait until there's better driver/hardware support? If there's any more information I'd need to provide, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your advice~

oftheninth
December 4th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Bump.

Anybody? =[

oftheninth
December 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Two days later. I'll try once more. =[

Quackers
December 6th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Have you tried running Ubuntu from the live cd on your new machine?
I'm not a gamer so I can't advise with regard to WOW. I do know that some games don't work too well with Ubuntu, but as to which ones I wouldn't know.
ATI graphics cards seem to be not as well supported as Nvidia cards, largley, as I understand it due to ATI short-comings rather than Linux problems.
Have you googled your questions?
Have you tried the search function?
Just some ideas for you to try.