View Full Version : [ubuntu] HDD problems on a running system

December 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM

My system is still on and running although hdd errors (on the root partition) seem to become more and more since booting.
After backing up the most important files, i'd like to "rescue" the system - if possible. I would not like to reinstall and reconfigure the entire system that i use for 5+ years now already. Till today morning, it was always fast and properly in use. However, this morning was broken after the regular partition check of ubuntu's boot procedure made me fear of data loss. After running fsck 2 times, it told me that not everything could be repaired and i need to restart. Following the instruction made the system start again. Few hours later (after backups and even working again on the machine), it starts having troubles again: no terminal, firefox, editor opens etc... Only nautilus and tt0

Is there a realistic chance for repairing this? I am not sure if it is better to shutdown the system now or to keep it run without moving/copying/deleting files on the the broken hdd.

Thanks for help

December 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
"killall osd-notifier" in tty0 makes the running system use-able again.
However, i still don't know whether i shut reboot or what's best thing to do now :-/