PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant login to normal Gnome

tonysonney
December 2nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hi all,
I am using ubuntu 8.04. I built the latest stable Kernel 2.6.36.1 (with ext4 enabled in .config as I needed to use some ext4 commands).Every thing looked fine and rebooted the machine. After entering username and password the screen is frozen before the desktop screen appears.
I can log in and work in the fail safe Gnome though on the
new kernel. Any idea how to fix the problem? Or what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks for the help in advance.

--Tony

srikanth.gundaz
December 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hi all,
I am using ubuntu 8.04. I built the latest stable Kernel 2.6.36.1 (with ext4 enabled in .config as I needed to use some ext4 commands).Every thing looked fine and rebooted the machine. After entering username and password the screen is frozen before the desktop screen appears.
I can log in and work in the fail safe Gnome though on the
new kernel. Any idea how to fix the problem? Or what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks for the help in advance.

--Tony

Your kernel has been replaced and bcoz of that u r not able to login to Gnome shell. Well, i think now there is no way to get back your 8.04 i guess. Sorry!! :( :( Better install fresh copy of Ubuntu. Go with 10.04 or 10.10.

mrgs
December 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
8.04 has not reached end of life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline

tonysonney
July 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Your kernel has been replaced and bcoz of that u r not able to login to Gnome shell. Well, i think now there is no way to get back your 8.04 i guess. Sorry!! :( :( Better install fresh copy of Ubuntu. Go with 10.04 or 10.10.

Thank you Srikanth for the post. But if my kernel is replaced by the new one, why am I able to login if I select "fail safe Gnome" option? And why is my kernel been replaced? I have done this before and the kernels used to co-exist. I just had to choose which kernel to boot from the grub.