PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox slowing down in use

postproducer
December 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM
I am running Ubuntu 10.4 Gnome 2.30.2 on a AMD XP2500+ with 1GB memory. After a random amount of use, Firefox cursor sticks when passing live areas of the screen. CPU activity is then running up tp 100%. System monitor shows no other usage. A restart returns things to normal, around 20% CPU usage. There are a number of posts round this general area but I have not found a definitive answer. Is this a known problem, is there a solution? Clearly this is not major as the restart is a workaround.

Additional comment: The effect is most noticeable as the cursor passes over the "most visited", "Getting started" and "Latest headlines" tabs, as I type, the cursor passes smoothly over these but after a while on the net the cursor will hang on each tab. I have removed MythTv from the system to reduce the cpu load but this has no effect on the problem. Any thoughts on where to look for a solution very welcome!

Just to add a thank you to all Ubuntu developers for a great program. I am a recent convert from Windows XP now consigned to the bin!

postproducer
January 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
It now seems that this problem was an early indication of a hardware failure!

kn0w-b1nary
January 13th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Other than hardware failure, lots of addons (12+) was to much for my meager amount of RAM, causing similar effects. Dont know how much this helps, but I would note that SwiftFox helped with my problem.:)