PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I install Ubuntu?

5T00
December 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hello, absolute beginner here.

I'm considering installing ubuntu on my laptop (a refurbished Dell latitude D600), and wanted to solicit some advice as to whether it is a good idea.

I understand that it will run the intertubes with no problems, but the other main things I use my computer for are skype video calls and managing my iPhone 3GS, which runs the latest version of firmware.

Are there any significant problems with running webcams or iTunes on Ubuntu? I understand that there are some pretty good iTunes substitutes out there for Linux but I cant find any guidance on whether these programs support the latest firmware, I don't want to have to jailbreak my phone every time an update comes out.

Since my laptop is a refurbished business model it doesn't have a large hard drive (at any one time I have about 9 gigs of free space), so I'm not sure that a dual boot is a viable option.

Also, If its not asking too much I'd still like to be able to play Civ IV.

Thanks.

ibizatunes
December 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Itunes doesnt work in linux really, but you can sync you iphone / ipod etc using banshee or rythmbox other another media player

Skype is easy to install

ubuntu you could install in the 9 gigs left in your disk no problems, it need about 2gb total space

If you install ubuntu from within window itself, then you can give it a try and if you like it do a full native install
if you dont like it just go to add / remove a delete the program, and it gone!!

bioterror
December 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Works like a charm except this little bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/559163).

I've had two D600's running what ever distro you can find from internet.

Utkarsh Ray
December 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
If you have a normal internet connection (cable or usb, not phone as modem) then Ubuntu is 'AWESOME' with the best security (due to which I can't install any unverified software as I use phone as modem) and good looks. The best, there are countless free softwares. I'm now dual booting Maverick with 7.
And don't care about hardware, Linux is the best in hardware compatibility.