PDA

View Full Version : NETBOOK GAMES (1024x600)

ArunavAm
December 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone.. ):P :KS first of all I must say I am very happy with Maverick Meerkat and I am happily shifted from WIN7 STARTER to it (Though I am using the Desktop environment- GNOME). While using Windows I've found that there's a plenty of sites/forums & blogs sharing info about games that can run pretty well on netbooks i.e. Atom processors and (presumed) Intel inbuilt GMA. So let's talk about a list of games about any genres that run good/well/great/laggy on ATOM cpu based netbooks.

I am using a VAIO M (2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, INTEL ATOM CPU). As the default and most common resolution found in netbooks is 1024x600, it would be better for us to share our views and experiences on running games that worked in that resolution or somehow fitted to it. Just make sure we don't end up talking about flash games :lolflag: .

I am currently playing:

SECRET MARYO CHRONICLES (RUNS SMOOTH, FULL SCREEN, FULL RES).
ASSAULT CUBE (RUNS SMOOTH, FULL SCREEN, FULL RES),
YO! FRANKIE (RUNS GOOD WITH LAGS AND POOR FPS, SOMEHOW FULL SCREEN- PANELS VISIBLE, FITS WIDESCREEN RES)

What are you playing on your netbooks and how good is it running?? :confused:

PLZ Share ur experiences and infos here.. I'm dying to retrieve the gaming experience that I enjoyed back in WIN7... :roll:

ArunavAm
December 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I just installed WARSOW.... Wonderful game.... awesome graphics.. I suggest every netbook user to download this game (available from the Ubuntu store). NOTE: 1024x600 res setup is not available by default.. but there's a trick to have it. Go to HOME folder, open .warsow-0.5 folder and open the folder basewsw. There open the config.cfg, search for the lines.. seta vid_customheight
seta vid_customwidth
and replace these two lines width with
seta vid_customheight "600"
seta vid_customwidth "1024"
also search for seta r_mode and replace the line with seta r_mode "-1"

tastygrue
December 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
On my netbook I play NAEV, a space trading/combat game. 1024x600 works perfectly, and there is no noticeable lag at all.

anjilslaire
December 3rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Wesnoth works pretty well, too.

ArunavAm
December 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
On my netbook I play NAEV, a space trading/combat game. 1024x600 works perfectly, and there is no noticeable lag at all.

I haven't played it.... will give it a try.. :KS

ArunavAm
December 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Wesnoth works pretty well, too.

Oh thanx.. :) Will install and check soon :)

DMKryl
December 5th, 2010, 03:40 AM
have you tried metal blob solid, frogatto or linuxDoukutsu (recommended)?

ArunavAm
December 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
have you tried metal blob solid, frogatto or linuxDoukutsu (recommended)?

linuxdoukutsu!!! :shock:

I loved Doukutsu on Windows... never knew till now that there's a linux version too!!! :shock:

Thanx a lot for saying about that... googling now... :)

will check the others also.. Oh, and I just discovered a wonderful game from the Synaptic repo.. named WHICH WAY IS UP.. give it a try.. :biggrin:

VonSpyder
December 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Iwould play regnum as I know the netbook can handle it but alas in ubuntu it says "Incompatiblevidcard" which is stupid because windows 7 can run it just fine.

i hate windows.

rizzeh
December 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM
OpenTTD!!:guitar:

sudo apt-get install openttd

donkyhotay
December 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I play wesnoth and chess on my netbook. Turn based games are the only ones I find that are practical on it. For anything else I use a desktop.

VonSpyder
December 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM
open arena runs pretty smooth too. though you need an external mouse plugged in to play it. People dont understand why i keep a mouse with me. pew pewpew!

Nytram
December 30th, 2010, 07:52 PM
A few people in this thread have said Wesnoth works on their netbooks. I've tried it but the screen is just too small, and is impossible to play due to buttons being offscreen. Are there any tweaks to get it working? My resolution is 1024x600.

ArunavAm
December 31st, 2010, 07:22 PM
woww... thanx for the names. I just installed TORCS... thought it would be great but I'm a bit dissapointed.. any other racing games for netbook??

donkyhotay
January 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
A few people in this thread have said Wesnoth works on their netbooks. I've tried it but the screen is just too small, and is impossible to play due to buttons being offscreen. Are there any tweaks to get it working? My resolution is 1024x600.

My netbook uses the same resolution, go into the options and change it too fullsceen and it'll be fine. If you try playing it "windowed" you lose the bottom inch or so. I don't know of any way of showing the bottom part of the game without switching to fullscreen.

Nytram
January 3rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
My netbook uses the same resolution, go into the options and change it too fullsceen and it'll be fine. If you try playing it "windowed" you lose the bottom inch or so. I don't know of any way of showing the bottom part of the game without switching to fullscreen.

Awesome it's working thanks for the tip Donkyhotay, I've been wanting to play this game a long while.

For anyone with the same problem, start the game in full screen with "wesnoth --fullscreen" in a terminal (only needs to be done once.)

donkyhotay
January 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Awesome it's working thanks for the tip Donkyhotay, I've been wanting to play this game a long while.

For anyone with the same problem, start the game in full screen with "wesnoth --fullscreen" in a terminal (only needs to be done once.)

I guess that works too, I simply went into the options in game and checkmarked "fullscreen" and didn't have any issues after that. Didn't think about using the CLI options.

Nytram
January 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
The preferences button is off screen on mine, I needed to use that terminal command to start it.

donkyhotay
January 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Now that I think about it, I think it was offscreen for me as well (it was some time ago) but I play so much wesnoth I know where the buttons should be even off screen.

anjilslaire
January 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I use this meathod to get Wesnoth running properly on my netbook:
http://anjilslaire.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/wesnoth-netbook-style/

hsoulen
January 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well my "netbook" is a bit beefier... Asus 1201n with an Atom 330 Dual-core and Nvidia ION (1366x768) but I have found the following to be enjoyable even on my wife's Acer Aspire One:

Nexuiz - runs pretty well at low res
Scorched 3d (almost always gets installed)
Tux games of course (Supertuxkart is my fav)
Good old Ennemy Territory
DOS Box - Nothing like a good game of Warcraft II or SimCity 2000 to get me through the day

Padman is cool as well if not a bit demanding graphically.

Still keep a Win7 partition for Steam, but outside of a little CS:S I find I boot once a month to keep the updates current.

Enjoy the "Nix"

Hank

Scooter_X
January 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Man I just tried out Cave Story (doukutsu) for the first time. i think it's pretty cool.

Glad to know that Nexuiz actually does run on my little netbook. Awesome.

I am looking for a fun little simple racing game though. I tried out pyRacer out of the standard repos yesterday and the screen resolution isn't right and it eats up my processor really bad. Even on a regular laptop that runs HL2 for example. Anyone know of some good ones that are similar to that? I've tried Super Tux Kart and didn't really like it. Maybe I tried an old version, but it wasn't that great... How's the latest greatest version?

Edit: How can a guy start Enemy Territory in 800x600? I can't get it into a resolution that I can see what's going on.

Arthur_D
January 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
As for SuperTuxKart, 0.7 is substantially better than 0.6.2 found in repos - but I have to admit I'm quite biased (have been playing since TuxKart, and am a bit involved with development, especially testing). ;)
If you didn't like it at all before, I doubt you will like it now though.

hsoulen
January 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Man I just tried out Cave Story (doukutsu) for the first time. i think it's pretty cool.

Glad to know that Nexuiz actually does run on my little netbook. Awesome.

I am looking for a fun little simple racing game though. I tried out pyRacer out of the standard repos yesterday and the screen resolution isn't right and it eats up my processor really bad. Even on a regular laptop that runs HL2 for example. Anyone know of some good ones that are similar to that? I've tried Super Tux Kart and didn't really like it. Maybe I tried an old version, but it wasn't that great... How's the latest greatest version?

Edit: How can a guy start Enemy Territory in 800x600? I can't get it into a resolution that I can see what's going on.

This might help with your resolution problem:

http://linux-bsd-sharing.blogspot.com/2008/08/enemy-territory-on-widescreen-monitor.html

(See the part about running the commands in the ET console under Linux as our ver does not have an autoexec.cfg)

For some reason mine has always defaulted to 800x600 for the menu and I can select my resolution in "Options->System"...

Hank