PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video problem and VC upgrade question

HC007
December 1st, 2010, 05:06 AM
Hello, All. First, I'm new to Ubuntu. Yeah, probably *extremely* common here for an opener. I'm sorry.

I have a PC that is about 4 years old, maybe 3. It is used, something I picked up in the PC support business. It has an ASUS A8V-VM motherboard with 2 GB of RAM. I am have the system to run motion control for a CNC router/mill. The problem I'm having is that the video on screen is slow as hell (a technical term). I can move windows by dragging the title bar and I have ghosted images of them in the periphery. It's like the video isn't drawing fast enough to erase the ghost images until I stop. Screen pops and changes seem very slow. I'm using the built-in video card, a VIA K8M890+ VT 8251 as told to me by the ASUS website.

The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, according to the System Monitor. I'll grant you that the system is older but I always believed that Linux ran faster than Windows on a similar system and this system originally had Windows on it and it never had video latency like what I'm seeing. I have tried to see if there was a way to upgrade the video card driver but I'm a Windows guy and have very little experience with Linux, Ubuntu especially. What can I do to speed up the video on this thing? The motherboard supports a PCI-E x1 and a PCI-E x16 slot, plus PCI. I probably have a couple of old Matrox PCI video cards somewhere, but nothing more than PCI (not the little slots I see on the motherboard).

I could buy another video card if I need to, but my concern goes like this: I had the system plugged into an HP LCD monitor, a 15 inch, when I loaded it. I then moved it, once loaded, and plugged an HP 20-something inch LCD into it and got all kinds of weird horizontal lines on screed. I finally got the system workable by plugging it into a Dell 17 inch CRT. Ubuntu didn't do well with the hardware change in midstream, as it were. I'm leery of changing the video card for fear that the system might not accessible at all (with the monitor change I could see stuff on screen sort of but not use the system).

I don't want to buy another PC just to run this OS for my purpose of CNC motion control; that's why I kept all these old PC's...for one day when I could use them for something useful like this, but the video latency I see here is causing me grief.

Thank you for your time and help.

--HC

HC007
December 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I found a solution to my problem and have posted it under Hardware as SOLVED.

--HC