PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ext NTFS HDD I/O Error

nevafuse
December 1st, 2010, 04:02 AM
Running latest ubuntu (command-line) on an older hp laptop. I have a usb external iomega 1tb harddrive attached. I use the drive to store all my video files that I stream to my xbox daily. I recently updated fstab to mount the drive using the line below...

/dev/sdb1 /media/iomega ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

(Before I was using another ntfs type that was extremely slow & read that I should start using "ntfs-3g" instead. Now once a day I get an input/output error when I try to read from the drive. It won't let me umount it (says another process is using it). If I reboot it hangs on the ubuntu loading screen saying it is waiting on /dev/sdb1 to be ready. If I unplug & re-plug in the harddrive it fixes the issue & ubuntu will finish booting.

I'm debating whether it is the harddrive or the new "ntfs-3g" type. I might try to partition half the drive to ext3 (to see if it is the type or drive that is having issues). I was curious if anyone else had experienced this issue & knew of a quick fix. I'd prefer to keep it NTFS, but will convert if its necessary. Thanks.