PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting a new computer, and I have questions

travissparks1307
November 30th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I'll be getting a new laptop computer in about a week and I had a few questions I'd like to ask the wonderful Ubuntu Community.

The computer in question is an Acer Aspire 5734Z-4512, rather than list all the specs, I direct you to CNET's page, here (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-5734z-4512/4507-3121_7-34139001.html)

Now I know everyone has mixed opinions about Acer, but my last laptop came from them and they have proved themselves, in my eyes, to be fairly capable. Besides, the only reason I'm getting it is because my school's bookstore sells them, and I can charge it to my Financial Aid.

Before I make this purchase, I was wondering if there were any major problems or hurdles in using Ubuntu on this type of computer. I will of course, be running 10.10 (Maverick). If anybody has had any experience with this laptop, I would love to hear from you and get your opinion, or if anyone has used any of the hardware from it, (CPU, graphics card, etc.) and has something to share that would be good too. I'm just gathering information at this point. Yes this thing has the Windows virus on it, but it won't as soon as I power it on, (I have an Ubuntu disk with its name on it)so try not to pester me TOO much about that. Of course if you can tell me how to get a windows refund, I'd love to hear about it. Also, I was planning on purchasing a PS3 DualShock 3 controller to use a gamepad, my gaming is usually emulators, (Mupen64plus, zsnes, etc.)So I was thinking it would be a great controller to use. Any major problems there? Can I just plug it in the USB and start playing games with it? I know this is a lot, but I respect and appreciate any and all opinions and advice. Thanks to all in advance!

akand074
November 30th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Nothing from the specs suggests to me that there would be any problems at all. About the controller, I can't say for sure but I can imagine there wouldn't be much more to do than plug it in.