PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel 2.6.32-26 - lower core and gpu temperature

scotty64
November 30th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Since the upgrade of the Lucid kernel to 2.6.32-26 I notice that my machine is running much cooler than with the 2.6.32-25 and previous versions. Both CPU and GPU temperature are much lower what I very much appreciate.
Does anybody has a similar experience ?

Fafler
November 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Good for you. Myself, i haven't experienced anything, but it would be nice to know what hardware you have. CPU, chipset and graphics card.

TBABill
November 30th, 2010, 07:33 PM
That's great to hear! May have to give it a look. I just did a flash update to my BIOS on my Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop and it runs significantly cooler, although it wasn't running real hot before. The fans were working fine before the upgrade, kicking up and down as necessary, but overall the whole system operates cooler now.

I'll check out the kernel update and see if it gives me similar results. Any cooling help is great for laptops.

TBABill
December 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
I upgraded the kernel last night just to see if it helped and I did notice my fans ran considerably less and the bottom of the laptop stayed cooler for longer periods (till the fans had to kick in). Thanks for posting the info that this worked....worked for me too!