PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to increase internet speed in karmic koala

vishnuscorpion
November 30th, 2010, 05:11 PM
hi all...
i need to increase my internet download speed in karmic koala .....anyone help me in providing the steps taken for that...will be highly appreciated

i also need to know which is the best tottent client available for ubuntu...!!

mikechant
November 30th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Generally speaking, the operating system does not affect your download speed - e.g. if you are running Windows, Mac OS or Linux/Ubuntu a file should take the same time to download on average.
Usually, your download speed is influenced by three main factors:

- The maximum speed allowed by your Internet Service Provider (typically fixed)
- The amount of contention with other users of your ISP (varying by time of day, day of week etc.)
- The speed of the server you are downloading from.

If you are connecting via wi-fi this can also limit your speed.

Do you have any reason to think that Ubuntu is limiting your speed instead of one these factors? For example, do you also use Windows, and get consistently faster downloads in Windows than Ubuntu?

As for bit torrent, most people will find the one that comes installed with Ubuntu - called transmisssion - acceptable, but it's very much a personal preference.

00arthuryu
November 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
If you are using the default bittorrent, Ubuntu has it blocked via firewall by default.
To change this install gufw

sudo apt-get install gufw
then go into System -> Administration -> firewall configuration -> edit
Make sure to check the following boxes
[Allow] [In] [Program]
and change the next one to bittorrent from the dropdown box
click add and afterwards, you should see an increase in download speed
:popcorn:

bkratz
November 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM
If you are using the default bittorrent, Ubuntu has it blocked via firewall by default.
To change this install gufw

sudo apt-get install gufw
then go into System -> Administration -> firewall configuration -> edit
Make sure to check the following boxes
[Allow] [In] [Program]
and change the next one to bittorrent from the dropdown box
click add and afterwards, you should see an increase in download speed
:popcorn:

I'm just interested because I have used the default bittorrent to download all the Ubuntu versions in the past, and I have never messed with a firewall at all. Are you sure it is blocked by default?

00arthuryu
November 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Double post sorry

00arthuryu
November 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM
not 100% sure but I've definitely noticed a speed increase after doing so. Also by downloading a torrent with so many seeds (such as ubuntu distros) it doesn't really matter. But with other files with less seeds, the difference feels more significant.
Also I couldn't port forward without doing so.

It is also possible that enabling ufw changes some of the default settings. But to be honest, even if it doesn't block it by default its always good practice to enable it through the firewall. Whatever works for you in the end.

vishnuscorpion
November 30th, 2010, 07:26 PM
@every one...:thanks all!!:)

lolpenguin
November 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Also, I would recommend upgrading to at least Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" as Karmic is no longer supported and that it is and Long Term Support release. (I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has told you before though.)

oldos2er
November 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM
And with that we will say good night.