PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running executables.

bertv
November 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hi all, my name is Bert and I am running Meerkat on an HP Pavillion, 1.0 GB, 2,8 GHz. I am truely a beginner on a Linux machine, so I may have a ton of questions. What is buggung me now is that, evrytime a want to run an exe.file and I give the 'open' command, I get this message:

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/bert/Downloads/wlsetup-web.exe or
/home/bert/Downloads/wlsetup-web.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/bert/Downloads/wlsetup-web.exe.ZIP, period.

and, of course, the process aborts.

I have already set all permissions to the max and it still comes back with the same result.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHH, :D

What can I do?

Thanx,
Bert.

Joker1134
November 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM
well Bert
im not sure why your getting that error but i do know that you can run .exe files on a linux machine anyways. .exe are windows only files. if its a windows program your tying to install try using wine HQ to install it on linux

surfer
November 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
you have to install wine if you want to run windows executables on linux. there is no guarantee that the program works though!

try this:

sudo apt-get install wine
and after that completes:

wine wlsetup-web.exe

ronnielsen1
November 30th, 2010, 11:34 AM
It looks like you could probably run windows live messenger in wine but it's a lot better running native linux applications. Try Pidgin. Applications > Internet > Pidgin Internet Messenger

Mark Phelps
November 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
If you're going to use Wine, you first need to check the WineHQ site for the compatibility rating of the app you want to run.

The site link below is for Windows Live Messenger:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=127

As you can see, it's rated Garbage -- meaning, it's NOT going to work, no matter what you do.

ronnielsen1
December 1st, 2010, 03:48 AM
As you can see, it's rated Garbage -- meaning, it's NOT going to work, no matter what you do.

The newest version, true. Some of the older versions give a little bit better rating. But I still recommend pidgin

bertv
December 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
To all you guys who have replied. Many thanks, I have installed wine and I found out that you have to set a flag in the file properties so that it will see the .exe as an actual program to run.

Slowly, 1 step at a time, I a getting better and better at this, :p.

Greetz from a very cold Holland that is covered in snow this weekend,

Bert.

RJ12
December 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM
It looks like you could probably run windows live messenger in wine but it's a lot better running native linux applications. Try Pidgin. Applications > Internet > Pidgin Internet Messenger

Ubuntu 10.10 includes Empathy by default instead of Pidgin. You can use either of them, but for pidgin, you need to install it using the Ubuntu Software Center or using this code in the terminal

sudo apt-get install pidgin

When using sudo, it will ask you for your password, when you type it, it will look as if you aren't typing it when you are. Don't worry, continue typing and then press enter. When it asks if your sure you want to install it, type y then press enter.