PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Basic keyboard and mouse

bumder
November 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
looking to get a mouse and keyboard combo for my laptop that is running 10.4.

saw in my local supermarket they were selling the basic microsoft wired ones for 10 each (20 for both isn't too bad).

almost bought them, but saw that you could not connect the mouse to the keyboard, so both would use two usb ports on the laptop. along with the fact there was no mention of other operating systems (even though it would probably work out the box with linux anyway)

can anyone recommend a cheap but good keyboard & mouse combo, where you can daisy-chain the mouse to the keyboard so they only use one usb port?

thankyou
:p

lombaardcj
December 6th, 2010, 01:57 PM
My advice: Try getting hold of a USB hub or USB splitter that is powered from the USB port, not externally. This way you can take the option you mentioned and not worry about replacing the mouse or keyboard at later stage.

The splitter I have used looks like a Y with one end going into the PC/Laptop USB Port and the other two ends splitting into two ports. Just ask around. Sometimes these splitters are multi purpose including a USB flash disk per splitter.

owiknowi
December 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM
If you search the web (https://ssl.scroogle.org) you can find several serious tweakers/testers who can advise you about brands and the like.
And make sure the mouse fits your hand and the keyboard has a solid touch/key's

To spare USB ports I use a Blue-tooth mouse and no separate keyboard.

pricetech
December 6th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Pretty much any keyboard will work, though all the bells and whistles might not.

For your splitter, check out ppcables dot com.